+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Pilot Program Restrictions

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
Hi there,

I'll make this short. Can you travel outside Canada and re-enter under the Spouse Pilot open Work Visa.

Phil

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you have a valid TRV (visa) in your passport or you are visa exempt, and your SOWP is currently valid, then yes, you can travel and renter.

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks for the response,

I will have a work permit in less than a month through the spouse pilot program. I was looking to bring my parents to Cuba for a week in September but I'm afraid this isn't possible.

My lawyers seem incapable to return my call.

Phil

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If your lawyers aren’t answering, dump them.

And why isn’t it possible to take your parents to Cuba in sep? You are getting your work permit next month right? Do you not have a visa?

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
So long story short myself and my wife put through an application for spousal sponsorship. This was submitted on January on January 31st 2019. A work permit through the pilot program was also submitted on that date. My lawyers claim I should get the work permit approval by the end of this month however I am still waiting on the AOR email.In the attempt to contact my lawyers with no luck I contacted another firm. kindly they did not charge me but they said I would not be able to travel as the work permit was an inland application therefore if I leave I will not be eligible for reentry. To make things worse myself and my wife had booked a delayed honeymoon to Japan in November.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So long story short myself and my wife put through an application for spousal sponsorship. This was submitted on January on January 31st 2019. A work permit through the pilot program was also submitted on that date. My lawyers claim I should get the work permit approval by the end of this month however I am still waiting on the AOR email.In the attempt to contact my lawyers with no luck I contacted another firm. kindly they did not charge me but they said I would not be able to travel as the work permit was an inland application therefore if I leave I will not be eligible for reentry. To make things worse myself and my wife had booked a delayed honeymoon to Japan in November.
Ah ok. Yes, the lawyers are correct and you should not leave through the duration of your sponsorship process. A work permit is generally issued about 4 months into the process so that matches what your lawyers told you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Short vacations are usually tolerated but there is always a risk of problems reentering Canada even if it is relatively low.

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
Ah ok. Yes, the lawyers are correct and you should not leave through the duration of your sponsorship process. A work permit is generally issued about 4 months into the process so that matches what your lawyers told you.
So to clarify the that is simply a work permit? It does not give me any freedom to leave the country if I wish to re enter?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So to clarify the that is simply a work permit? It does not give me any freedom to leave the country if I wish to re enter?
Yes, a work permit gives you the right to work. The right to apply to enter Canada is granted by a Temporary Resident Visa. The two aren't the same thing.

Do you already have a TRV? How did you enter Canada when you first came here?

For inland sponsorships, you're expected to stay in Canada throughout the process. They usually are ok with a short trip, but as canuck78 said, you're still taking a risk.

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
First of all, thanks for the feedback. The day I’ve had :(

I entered on a 2 year Work Permit back in early 2017.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
First of all, thanks for the feedback. The day I’ve had :(

I entered on a 2 year Work Permit back in early 2017.
Yes, but you must have got a visa in your passport. Or are you from a visa-exempt country - in that case, you would have an ETA. Are those documents still valid? NOT the work permit.. the visa or the ETA.

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
So I’m an Irish citizen, I have the ETA from when I was originally emigrating. Expiration date 18/10/2021.
No passport visa, just entry stamps. Terms of permit I have the paper document given to me on arrival in immigration

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So I’m an Irish citizen, I have the ETA from when I was originally emigrating. Expiration date 18/10/2021.
No passport visa, just entry stamps. Terms of permit I have the paper document given to me on arrival in immigration
Ok, so you have a valid ETA. Assuming your sponsorship is a straightforward case and there are no red flags, one short vacation shouldn't cause issues. I wouldn't stay out for longer than 14 days though.

PFitz

Feb 4, 2018
Thank you for the glimmer of hope my case is straightforward and A very solid case. Thank you so much for the advice, I hope it works on the day.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for the glimmer of hope my case is straightforward and A very solid case. Thank you so much for the advice, I hope it works on the day.
Yeah, you'll be fine. Put the Cuba vacation on ice this year and go for your delayed honeymoon.

Good luck