+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit

Khushboo2105

Star Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi. I'm in canda currently hold a closed work permit. My spouse is outside Canada. Is he eligible to apply for an open work permit?

krishislegend

Star Member
Jun 28, 2021
I am also in same situation, but i have a doubt. I need to apply for Spouse open work permit. My wife is not working for the last 5 years (She used to work before that). Does it mean that her application has chance of rejection?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am also in same situation, but i have a doubt. I need to apply for Spouse open work permit. My wife is not working for the last 5 years (She used to work before that). Does it mean that her application has chance of rejection?
As long as you have a job in NOC 0, A or B that is what counts. When does your WP expire?

krishislegend

Star Member
Jun 28, 2021
As long as you have a job in NOC 0, A or B that is what counts. When does your WP expire?
I am sorry i should have been little more clear. I am going to apply for work permit and was hoping to apply for family too so that i can take them along with me. But i heard from one of my friend that if i apply for my spouse since she is not currently working, there may be chances of rejection. My NOC skill code is A.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am sorry i should have been little more clear. I am going to apply for work permit and was hoping to apply for family too so that i can take them along with me. But i heard from one of my friend that if i apply for my spouse since she is not currently working, there may be chances of rejection. My NOC skill code is A.
No chance at rejection because she isn’t working. OWP is the correct permit even if she has no intention of working.

Nozza

Feb 4, 2020
Hello! To apply for Spousal OWP, why is it required to "show ties to home country"? Also, what constitutes as ties, what kind of documents would they want to see?

Another question is, he hasn't lived in his home country for over a decade and have lived across multiple countries and is currently on a Dependent Visa (outside of Canada).

Your responses are much appreciated!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello! To apply for Spousal OWP, why is it required to "show ties to home country"? Spousal OWP is also a TRV - Temporary Resident Visa. So one has to show reasons as to why he/she would leave to country and return to their home country/country of citizenship at the end of the stay. Also, what constitutes as ties, what kind of documents would they want to see? Home ties can often be an ongoing employment/own business

Another question is, he hasn't lived in his home country for over a decade and have lived across multiple countries and is currently on a Dependent Visa (outside of Canada). I am not sure of his current immigration status in the country he is in. Cannot comment on this

Your responses are much appreciated!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi
What is the current processing time for open work permit? Has anyone received recently?
Google for check processing times and find out. Inside canada should be around 2-3 months while from outside depends which country you apply from.

Harsh37

Sep 7, 2022
Hi

I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter Canada with valid Canadian company's offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her? Her company is ready to send her in 2 months after arranging Finance for her, from client.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter Canada with valid Canadian company's offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her? Her company is ready to send her in 2 months after arranging Finance for her, from client.
You should enter at the same time as your spouse since your work permit is dependent on hers. Risky for you to go earlier and alone.

rajns

Star Member
Jan 28, 2022
Sowp applied on: Sep 11, 2022
Biometrics done: Sep 15, 2022
Eligibility review started: Nov 1, 2022

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hi

How then your spouse got her closed work permit approved without a job offer??