+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Hello Forum,

I am filling online application for my spouse open work permit ( She is living outside Canada). I , myself, hold a valid post graduate work permit and currently doing job in Noc category B.
My question is following:
The documents that they have asked for are the IMM1295 form along with medical exam for my spouse. I am confused that they have not asked for any of my information, not even my work permit as a proof. If that is the case, how would they know the validatiy period of my SOWP when they issue her a permit. Am i doing some mistake in filling up the online questionnaires or is it normal?

Thanks

env

Oct 31, 2015
jawadchoudary said:
Hello Forum,

I am filling online application for my spouse open work permit ( She is living outside Canada). I , myself, hold a valid post graduate work permit and currently doing job in Noc category B.
My question is following:
The documents that they have asked for are the IMM1295 form along with medical exam for my spouse. I am confused that they have not asked for any of my information, not even my work permit as a proof. If that is the case, how would they know the validatiy period of my SOWP when they issue her a permit. Am i doing some mistake in filling up the online questionnaires or is it normal?

Thanks
Yeah that checklist would not give you a separate option to upload your work permit, create one pdf of all other supporting documents (including yours) and upload them in the " Letter of Explanation " tab.

I hope this will help you!

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

I am on probation and the probation period is 6 months that will complete on December 31st. Should i wait till i am through with the probation period or should i just apply my spouse work permit right away.
Will applying after the probation period will give a positive impact on my visa process or it does not matter?

Thanks

env

Oct 31, 2015
jawadchoudary said:
Thanks for your reply.

I am on probation and the probation period is 6 months that will complete on December 31st. Should i wait till i am through with the probation period or should i just apply my spouse work permit right away.
Will applying after the probation period will give a positive impact on my visa process or it does not matter?

Thanks
There is no such condition of probation period completion, you are eligible to apply as long as you meet the other listed requirements (e.g. approved to work in Canada for six months or longer, and doing a job at Skill Level 0, A or B NOC)

jawadchoudary

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
env said:
There is no such condition of probation period completion, you are eligible to apply as long as you meet the other listed requirements (e.g. approved to work in Canada for six months or longer, and doing a job at Skill Level 0, A or B NOC)
Thanks again..!
Before i apply, want to make sure that i am on right track, just like everyone else. So i am gona ask 1 more silly question.
I read somewhere that if you have been employed for more than 6 months in full time employment and then you apply for your spouse work permit. This makes the success rate higher. Since i have been working for 4 months, do you think if i wait two more months it will increase the approval chance. Or it does not matter and i should apply right away after having complete documents.
Also, for outside canada visa applications, online or paper based application has less waiting timel?

env

Oct 31, 2015
jawadchoudary said:
Thanks again..!
Before i apply, want to make sure that i am on right track, just like everyone else. So i am gona ask 1 more silly question.
I read somewhere that if you have been employed for more than 6 months in full time employment and then you apply for your spouse work permit. This makes the success rate higher. Since i have been working for 4 months, do you think if i wait two more months it will increase the approval chance. Or it does not matter and i should apply right away after having complete documents.
Also, for outside canada visa applications, online or paper based application has less waiting timel?
jawadchoudary said:
Thanks again..!
Being optimistic, Yes may be at some extent but not a dominating factor as there are so many other things to consider too, and I don't think that couple of months would make a very big difference, eventually someone has to start at some point, being pessimistic that delay factor may bring process changes down the road, such as some new requirements for eligibility etc...

Online would take less time I think and as other folks have mentioned around too, the reason is that the application/documents will be pre-scanned for visa office, a difference of 4 - 6 weeks in the overall process may be expected but this also varies case to case but generally yes online would encounter less time, personally I like the online process, its easy to track your application and get a status updates and not to worry about losing your original documents in the mail somewhere.

ca0ydo

Sep 12, 2016
@jawadchoudary : Did your spouse get a work permit ? I have applied for my wife's work permit as well. I am on PGWP and I have full time job in NOC 2282 category. But I am on probation period.

Could you please tell me what happen to your wife's wp?

Thanks.

KhushbuNiketh

Aug 22, 2016
Open Work Permit through flagpole

Hello,
I am on visitors visa in Canada.
My husband is on work permit he has his NOC A job.
I wanted to apply for my open work permit through flag poling.Is it possible to do so?
If yes what all documents do i need for SOWP?
Do i need to have my US visa for flag poling ?