+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit

kishore

Nov 11, 2008
Hi PPM

I have got a temporary resident visa with valid work permit for another 8 months and i am working in canda.iam a software professional.My wife has got a visitor visa same as my expiry date of TRV.She is visiting me this month.How to apply for an open work permit for my wife to work after she comes to canada? what are the forms and documents should we submit? I do have 8 months of visa still valid.Could you please let me know about the procedure.

Thanks in Advance for ur help

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
HI

kishore said:
Hi PPM

I have got a temporary resident visa with valid work permit for another 8 months and i am working in canda.iam a software professional.My wife has got a visitor visa same as my expiry date of TRV.She is visiting me this month.How to apply for an open work permit for my wife to work after she comes to canada? what are the forms and documents should we submit? I do have 8 months of visa still valid.Could you please let me know about the procedure.

Thanks in Advance for ur help
IMM 1249 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
Takes 73 days.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kishore said:
Thanks pmm

Does my wife needs to have previous work experience to qualify for open work permit.In the application wat column should i checl a,b,c or d.The form is very confusing.Thanks for Your prompt help.looking forward to here from you.
1. No.
2. C

PMM

kishore

Nov 11, 2008
Thank you PPM.

Can my wife apply for open work permit at port of entry and wat documents should she provide?

thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kishore said:
Thank you PPM.

Can my wife apply for open work permit at port of entry and wat documents should she provide?

thank you
1. passport, copy of your work permit.

PMM

angirasg

Jan 11, 2012
Today I came to Canada toronto for work on work permit visa. I wanted to apply open work permit for my wife at port of entry but the immigration officer said that I cannot do that. He said only people from countries that do not need visa to enter canada can get open work permit at port of entry ...

birch

Jun 2, 2013
Please can someone comment on this last information, can only citizens of countries that are TRV exempt apply for the open work permit from inside Canada? I was told by the university to try to get a visitor visa +TRV for my common law partner and then once in Canada, change it.

Thank you.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Yes this is true that people who do not require a visa can only apply from the port of entry.

However, from what i know, if you are already in Canada you can still apply while being there. Look at the international.gc.ca website for inland applications. Even if you are on a visit visa to canada, and you got a job offer from there, you can apply for work permit, have to go to border for some thing call "flag pole" (or similar - i forgot the exact term), but the point of this is, you apply and process visa while being inside, then to get it stamped on passport and do an entry, you have to go to canadian border. There are limited circumstances under which this is allowed, but the details are available on the website as i remember reading it there.

Hope it helps.

Swathib

Mar 3, 2015
Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for open work permit from Canada.
When I check the website it says we have to submit the medical report as well.I have given my medical examination in last month but I don't have report with me.
Can anyone please let me know what document can we submit as a proof for medicals

vader26

Feb 19, 2015
Swathib said:
Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for open work permit from Canada.
When I check the website it says we have to submit the medical report as well.I have given my medical examination in last month but I don't have report with me.
Can anyone please let me know what document can we submit as a proof for medicals
You have to do the medical exam at a cic approved medical facility/doctor in your country. Once completed they will forward the results to cic.

Harish89

May 12, 2017
Spousal Open work permit visa

Hello Sir,

I'm a PhD degree holder. I have been offered a job in University Health Network, Toronto. I will be applying for work permit visa, along with my application may I also apply for my wife's Open Work permit visa ?

Submitting both applications (mine and my wife's) once at a time is good or I have to wait until I get work permit visa and then apply for my wife Open work permit visa.
Is it possible to apply Open work permit visa for my wife at port entry ? My wife has valid Indian passport.

Kindly help us.