+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPOUSE OPEN WORK PERMIT SOWP - Employment Location

vikas_cs

Apr 25, 2022
Hi
if Employment Location is mentioned as Victoria on SOWP , Can SOWP holder work at any other location apart from Victoria. Or the location restriction has to be mentioned specifically under Condition section in OWP.
Thanks,

BalaKCB

May 23, 2023
Hi
if Employment Location is mentioned as Victoria on SOWP , Can SOWP holder work at any other location apart from Victoria. Or the location restriction has to be mentioned specifically under Condition section in OWP.
Thanks,
I would like to have some updates on this. I have similar concerns..

BalaKCB

May 23, 2023
Ideally an OWP entitles you to work anywhere in Canada

What are the specific conditions on yours
Thank you for replying...

Actually, my husband has an SOWP and I have an SP, and we are coming to Kingston city. I heard in a YouTube video that, at the POE, during immigration questions, the officer sometimes may put a location specific restriction on the SOWP, since the spouse is accompanying the student in a particular city. That will confine the spouse to work only in that city or province.

Is that true? If at all it happens, is there a way to eliminate the restriction at the time of job search?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Thank you for replying...

Actually, my husband has an SOWP and I have an SP, and we are coming to Kingston city. I heard in a YouTube video that, at the POE, during immigration questions, the officer sometimes may put a location specific restriction on the SOWP, since the spouse is accompanying the student in a particular city. That will confine the spouse to work only in that city or province.

Is that true? If at all it happens, is there a way to eliminate the restriction at the time of job search?
Yes some officers can do that

I am not sure if you can override it.

BalaKCB

May 23, 2023
Yes some officers can do that

I am not sure if you can override it.
Oh!! Then, any idea what is the solution, so that they don't put that restriction in the first place? During the Q&A with the officer, if the spouse says that he/she is open to work in the entire country, wherever there is a job prospect? Will that work?

Thank you for your response.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh!! Then, any idea what is the solution, so that they don't put that restriction in the first place? During the Q&A with the officer, if the spouse says that he/she is open to work in the entire country, wherever there is a job prospect? Will that work?

Thank you for your response.
If your spouse has a closed work permit and his job is in Kingston and you have received a OWP to accompany him then you should also be living in Kingston. Are you planning to live in Kingston with your Spouse?

BalaKCB

May 23, 2023
If your spouse has a closed work permit and his job is in Kingston and you have received a OWP to accompany him then you should also be living in Kingston. Are you planning to live in Kingston with your Spouse?
Not necessarily. A person with an Open Work Permit should be free to move to anywhere in Canada if there is a good job prospect. Off course, living with the spouse would be the ideal situation. But, if work calls, a person might have to go to different places. That is why I was worried about any location specific restriction being put on the work permit...