+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit rejected

subakumaran

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I came to Canada in 2013 under study permit.
Finished my studies and got my PGWP and its valid till march 2019.

I applied visitor visa for my girl friend when she was studying in UK in 2017 January
Got approved for a visitor visa for one year.

Got married and applied for spouse open work permit and just yesterday got it refused

The reason they mentioned was

"There is no satisfactory evidence of host’s employment in an occupation that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels 0, A or B. You do not meet the requirements of an open work permit."

I was working as a software developer until December 2017. From January 2018 I am self employed with one major client is a US firm. I have a valid contract as a consultant with them until August 2018.

Documents I submitted before
- My wife's Application package
- Marriage certificate
- My passport
- My work permit
- Marriage photos

Does being self employed makes it not eligible? Or if someone else have been in the same situation, please let me know the document checklist you submitted. I will be submitting again by the end of this month. Thanks in advance.

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
I received similar response, i submitted all the documents except for my employment letter. And got a response stating thaat my job does not fall under NOC 0 A or B. But my job is under NOC A. Its just that i forgot to upload my Employment letter.
Is your spouse with you in canada? I mean applying from inside canada or outside canada?
Not sure if contract jobs are eligible, try calling cic canada. Thursday and friday early morning are best time to call, but you may still have to spend some time on ivr

subakumaran

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I received similar response, i submitted all the documents except for my employment letter. And got a response stating thaat my job does not fall under NOC 0 A or B. But my job is under NOC A. Its just that i forgot to upload my Employment letter.
Is your spouse with you in canada? I mean applying from inside canada or outside canada?
Not sure if contract jobs are eligible, try calling cic canada. Thursday and friday early morning are best time to call, but you may still have to spend some time on ivr
- My job is also NOC A
- She has visited me thrice last year. But right now she is in India as her visitor visa expired.
- Will give a call to cic and let you know their response.
- My plan is to resubmit again with whatever employment details I have. If it gets rejected again. Then may be find a full time job and then re-apply.

when was yours rejected? Have you reapplied?

thanks

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
I have not reapplied. Application got rejected 3 weeks ago. Im thinking to apply for visitor visa now since all the agents in india dont know about sowp, they only know visitor visa.
Do not waste time by applying with whatever employment details you get ! If you could ask your current employer to provide you with a letter stating that you are under NOC A along with job duties then atleast there would be some hope of approval

subakumaran

Star Member
May 15, 2013
I have not reapplied. Application got rejected 3 weeks ago. Im thinking to apply for visitor visa now since all the agents in india dont know about sowp, they only know visitor visa.
Do not waste time by applying with whatever employment details you get ! If you could ask your current employer to provide you with a letter stating that you are under NOC A along with job duties then atleast there would be some hope of approval
The company I consult now is at US. I am thinking of registering myself as self employed and show that. I can get letter from the previous employers for NOC categories.
Visitor visa after work permit rejection? Do you think that will work?

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
I frankly dont know if that will work, but a lot of them say so and there are few cases that have happened to have approved

Rigesh lama

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Thimphu
Hello guys I am in dire situation and I need w and clarification from you all. I am from bhutan and I applied for my spouse open work permit on March 15th and got it rejected on May 21. The reasons for rejection was :

- no recent proof of spouse enrollment letter for her college and

- your spouse visa is expiring on August 2018.

My wife is in canada and her visa was expiring on August 2018 so she applied for her extension on May 11 2018. After that we didn't get any update as she did it through her college. Then we mailed the MP office regarding the extension and we got a reply saying that" your spouse have applied the extension paper based so the processing time will be 112 days and her extension is yet to be processed and have not started"

So my queistion here is, it's June right now and her extension will take 112 days like more than 3 months. Let's says it take 3 months then I will be able to reapply for my open work permit only on September or October, but when I reapply her visa validity will be less than 6months. Her next visa validity is till April 11 2019. This comes to the same reason my first visa was rejected because by the time I reapply her visa will be expiring again. So it's obvious it will get rejected.
Are my opinion on this correct or it doesnt happen like this ??

Please sir, madam, friends help me clarify my case.