+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit refused as per section 205 c (ii)

Jan 28, 2020
Hi All,

I’m looking for sincere and honest advise/suggestions/guidance with respect to my application. My wife went to Canada on a study permit on January 1,2020. She has been accepted into the culinary skills program at Niagara College which is a full time study of 12 months duration. That was the same day I applied for a spouse open work permit. To my surprise, my application was rejected for the following reason -

"You have not adequately demonstrated that you meet the requirements of a spousal open work permit pursuant to section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations ."

Has anyone’s application got rejected for the same reason? I researched a lot online and couldn’t exactly decipher as to why and on what grounds was my visa rejected. If you read section 205(c)(ii), it sounds very wague. I can’t afford to waste my time waiting for the detailed notes done by the case officer. I’m counting on you guys to guide me here before I start with my reapplication process. So here are the documents that I submitted -

Wife’s visa stamp copy
College acceptance letter
GIC letter
Tuition fee receipt ( for the whole year)
My resume
Statement of Purpose
Last job experience letter with last 3 months pay slips
All previous experience letters till date
Ontario Graduate Certificate of a program I completed in Canada from 2016-2017
Master’s certificate + marks sheets
Degree certificate + marks sheets
10th and 12th certificates
WES evaluation report ( yeah my profile is in the EE pool)
Marriage certificate
Medical certificate
Last 4 months bank statement showing Rs.4,48,000
Screenshot of my bank account balance in Canada showing 3700 CAD
IT returns of last 2 years
Property valuation report

Of course, I filled the family information form, personal details form too.

Did I miss anything? Please let me know your thoughts on the same.

tinu28111987

Nov 1, 2017
Hi All,

I’m looking for sincere and honest advise/suggestions/guidance with respect to my application. My wife went to Canada on a study permit on January 1,2020. She has been accepted into the culinary skills program at Niagara College which is a full time study of 12 months duration. That was the same day I applied for a spouse open work permit. To my surprise, my application was rejected for the following reason -

"You have not adequately demonstrated that you meet the requirements of a spousal open work permit pursuant to section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations ."

Has anyone’s application got rejected for the same reason? I researched a lot online and couldn’t exactly decipher as to why and on what grounds was my visa rejected. If you read section 205(c)(ii), it sounds very wague. I can’t afford to waste my time waiting for the detailed notes done by the case officer. I’m counting on you guys to guide me here before I start with my reapplication process. So here are the documents that I submitted -

Wife’s visa stamp copy
College acceptance letter
GIC letter
Tuition fee receipt ( for the whole year)
My resume
Statement of Purpose
Last job experience letter with last 3 months pay slips
All previous experience letters till date
Ontario Graduate Certificate of a program I completed in Canada from 2016-2017
Master’s certificate + marks sheets
Degree certificate + marks sheets
10th and 12th certificates
WES evaluation report ( yeah my profile is in the EE pool)
Marriage certificate
Medical certificate
Last 4 months bank statement showing Rs.4,48,000
Screenshot of my bank account balance in Canada showing 3700 CAD
IT returns of last 2 years
Property valuation report

Of course, I filled the family information form, personal details form too.

Did I miss anything? Please let me know your thoughts on the same.
You also need to attach your wife's college enrollment letter. This letter can be obtained once the college starts. It shows that your wife has started studying.
Even we had the same case. I came as a student in SEP 2018 and applied for husband's SOWP in OCT-2018.
Try applying again in FEB.

Regards,
Hetal

Jan 28, 2020
You also need to attach your wife's college enrollment letter. This letter can be obtained once the college starts. It shows that your wife has started studying.
Even we had the same case. I came as a student in SEP 2018 and applied for husband's SOWP in OCT-2018.
Try applying again in FEB.

Regards,
Hetal
Hi Hetal,

You are right ! I missed out on the enrolment letter. Most importantly, the study permit! I really rushed into applying for a visa without understanding the documentation.