+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit query

Harsh37

Sep 7, 2022
I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter canada with valid offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter canada with valid offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her.
No. She is the primary applicant. You can enter together or her first. That is the whole point of the SOWP.

Reactions: Harsh37

Harsh37

Sep 7, 2022
Okay, one more query, can they reduce the salary on which closed work permit is processed of my wife originally ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay, one more query, can they reduce the salary on which closed work permit is processed of my wife originally ?
Depends. It is still the prevailing wage for the occupation in the province, and within the range that the employer is paying existing employees in the same job? If not then it should be no. The employer should apply or amend if possible the LMIA. Since she is not in Canada there is not much she can do except turn down the job if she feels she is not going to be paid accordingly. Even if in Canada, she would have to file a grievance through Ministry of Labour, hire an employment lawyer or sue through small claims. She would cintact IRCC about it too.