+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit or Tourist Visa

adash

Jan 20, 2017
Hi,
I am planning to join my Wife in Windsor who is a full time student in the University of Windsor pursuing her Master's degree. She started her program this year. I am in India. Please advise if I need to file for Spouse Open Work Permit directly from India, or I should file an application for a Tourist Visa, and apply for Work Permit after few months in Canada. If I should go a a tourist, please let me know if I need to come back to India again if I have to file Open Work Permit. Also, need to know the rejection chances, and how to apply.

sunny_mist

Feb 12, 2016
Hi Adash,

I've got your point what you want to say. As per my suggestion, you should apply for the spouse work permit made outside Canada.

What will happen? - you will get dependent work permit which is valid till the study permit of your wife.
What after study permit expires? - as long as if study permit is valid more than a year, it's safe to apply for your visa, before a month of expiration of the study permit, you both can apply for the work permit.

On basis of your wife's work permit, you will get work permit accordingly.

If you will opt for the visitor visa, you won't be able to work here in Canada and you've to leave the country in 6 months.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Sunny.

Sowp

Jan 24, 2017
Hi

I am applying for SOWP in few days . Please help :(

What are the risks associated with applying for SOWP after I resign my job and stay in notice period for 2 months. :-X

My wife is showing 21k CAD funding letter from her prof in canada and she has 5000CAD Scholarship

I am showing 10000CAD funds in my account

Are these sufficient ? Please help !