+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit in last semester

shweta406

Nov 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

I would like to present my situation here.

I came on student visa in 2018 for 1 year certificate program and now I am on my PGWP.

I got married over here in Nov 2018. My husband also came here on student visa in a 2 year program.

Right now I am doing a full time job in NOC A and my 1 year will get over in September 1 st week. I want to finish my 1 year as it will boost our points in express entry.

However, my work permit will get expired in June 2020 and my husband is in last semester of his course. His course will get over in April.

I am not sure when to apply for spousal open work permit based on my husband.

Can I apply after his semester is over or may be just about to get over? Or when he applies for PGWP. As I can stay on implied status and finish my 1 year at my job before the result comes.

or

Should I apply now when he still has 2.5 months left to finish his studies?
I am afraid just incase if it gets rejected if I apply right now than I won’t be able to finish my 1 year at job.

I am not sure when to apply. Please guide me

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I would like to present my situation here.

I came on student visa in 2018 for 1 year certificate program and now I am on my PGWP.

I got married over here in Nov 2018. My husband also came here on student visa in a 2 year program.

Right now I am doing a full time job in NOC A and my 1 year will get over in September 1 st week. I want to finish my 1 year as it will boost our points in express entry.

However, my work permit will get expired in June 2020 and my husband is in last semester of his course. His course will get over in April.

I am not sure when to apply for spousal open work permit based on my husband.

Can I apply after his semester is over or may be just about to get over? Or when he applies for PGWP. As I can stay on implied status and finish my 1 year at my job before the result comes.

or

Should I apply now when he still has 2.5 months left to finish his studies?
I am afraid just incase if it gets rejected if I apply right now than I won’t be able to finish my 1 year at job.

I am not sure when to apply. Please guide me
You won't qualify for a SOWP now given he has less than six months remaining in his studies. You'll need to wait until her has finished his studies and had applied for a PGWP and also has a nice a b or 0 job. He will need to provide three pay stubs with the application.

Reactions: shweta406

shweta406

Nov 9, 2017
You won't qualify for a SOWP now given he has less than six months remaining in his studies. You'll need to wait until her has finished his studies and had applied for a PGWP and also has a nice a b or 0 job. He will need to provide three pay stubs with the application.

Thankyou for guiding me!

shweta406

Nov 9, 2017
May I ask you if I can apply for spouse open work permit after my husband’s semester gets over?

Because by doing that I will have the benefit of working on implied status and that may help me to finish my 1 year at job. I am willing to go back to my country after my 1 year at Job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
May I ask you if I can apply for spouse open work permit after my husband’s semester gets over?

Because by doing that I will have the benefit of working on implied status and that may help me to finish my 1 year at job. I am willing to go back to my country after my 1 year at Job.
As long as he has applied for a PGWP and has a NOC A, B or 0 job (and can provide three pay slips) - then yes. Otherwise IRCC may decide your application was incomplete and refuse it, in which case you won't benefit from implied status and won't be able to get credit for the work experience you gained after your work permit expired.

Reactions: shweta406

Simran9524

Mar 14, 2020
I got married in January 2020. My study visa is till September2020. I am applying my spouse open work permit in March2020. What will be the chances of approval?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I got married in January 2020. My study visa is till September2020. I am applying my spouse open work permit in March2020. What will be the chances of approval?
1. Probably fairly low, with your study permit expiring in 6 months or less.

Simran9524

Mar 14, 2020
My lawyer said that if I apply within 6 months study permit expiry then spouse is able to get open work permit approval for 4 months atleast. Considering 2 months the application processing time.
Should I apply SOWP?

Man deep

Feb 9, 2021
I am in my last semester as my study will complete in April 2021 but my study permit is valid upto November 2021.
Can I apply my husband's open work permit from India? Or should i wait for my study completion?

Man deep

Feb 9, 2021
I am in my last semester as my study will complete in April 2021 but my study permit is valid upto November 2021.
Can I apply my husband's open work permit from India? Or should i wait for my study completion?
Please give me feedback