+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit for PGWP Holder

Derek000

May 16, 2023
I already have my PGWP, and a part-time low-skilled job (Teer 5) in Fortinos. Can I help my spouse to get a open work permit? Did anyone apply for spouse open work permit after IRCC changed rule this year? Appreciated if you can share your experience.

Below are the words from IRCC Website(
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/open-work-permit-spouses-dependent-children/eligibility.html)

Low-skilled worker
Principal foreign worker requirements
You must meet 4 requirements:
  1. You have 1 of the following:
  2. Your work permit must be valid in Canada for at least 6 months after we receive your family member’s open work permit application.
  3. You’re employed or will be employed in a low-skilled occupation (Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities [TEER] category 4 or 5 of the National Occupation Classification system) at the time your family member submits their application.
  4. You’re living or plan to live in Canada while working.
Who is not eligible at this time
Your spouse and dependent children aren’t eligible at this time if you work in a TEER 4 or 5 job under the low-wage stream, the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program and the Agricultural Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
The stream or program you were hired under is listed on the labour market impact assessment approval letter you got from your employer.

Exceptions to eligibility
Your family members aren’t eligible for this temporary measure if any of the following situations apply to you (the principal applicant):
  • You hold a work permit under the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
  • You hold a work permit under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program.
  • You hold a work permit under the agricultural stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
  • You’ve made a refugee claim that was referred to the Immigration Refugee Board.
  • You’re subject to an unenforceable removal order.
  • You’re an international student who’s working in a co-op program.
  • You’re an international student working off-campus without a work permit.
  • You’re applying for a PGWP, but have not received a positive decision on the PGWP at the time the decision on your family member’s application is made.
Family member requirement
Your family member must meet 3 requirements:
  1. They meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit.
  2. They’re in a genuine relationship with the person who makes them eligible for this open work permit and are any 1 of the following:
  3. If your family member is in Canada, they must be in 1 of thefollowing situations:
    • They have valid temporary resident status.
    • They’ve applied to extend their status before it expired (maintained status).
    • They’re eligible for restoration of their status as a