+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit Approved but Medical Request Confusion

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
Open Work permit Online which was approved as per the following message received in myCIC inbox (Feb-28-2013).

The confusion is does she need to do her Medical exam, since as per the letter dated (Mar-1-2013), the document has been issued and mailed to me.But then again letter Dated Feb 28th states "Immigration legislation requires that you and your accompanying family members if applicable,complete medical examinations", and the Feb 28th attachment included IMM1017 (Medical Report Form to be given to Doctor).

I read an old thread which talks about the permit being restricted till medical are done (w w w. canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t19942.0.html ). But my wife doesn't plan to work in any restricted occupation, so should I be doing these medical's ? Anyone else been in this situation before?

Feb-28-2013 10:14:09 AM ET
This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application has been approved and your new document will be sent to you separately.
You are authorized to remain in Canada under the conditions listed on the document(s). Please
read them carefully.

Immigration legislation requires that you and your accompanying family members if applicable,
complete medical examinations. The examination(s) must be conducted by one of the
panel physicians. To obtain a list of panel physician in your area please visit Citizenship and
Immigration Canada Internet web site at or contact your local Call Centre
at the number indicated below. It is your responsibility to contact one of these panel physicians
and make the necessary appointment. You must attach passport size photographs to the
medical forms PRIOR to your appointment. You must present all the forms attached to this
letter to the panel physician.

Mar-1-2013
Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure document has
been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application. If you have not received
your secure document within six weeks, contact CIC.
Type: Permit - WP-EXT / Permis - PT-PROR Validity 2014/08/14 Document Number U5xxxxxxxx

anand243244

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Passport Req..
14-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-03-2014
Here are some questions for you

1. Did your wife came in Canada as visitor for visa of 6 or less months ?
2. Did she had medical done in her home country (from Canadian Visa perspective) ?
3. Is approved work permit more than 6 months?

Response of above questions are necessary to determine that medical would be required or not in acquiring a new open work permit. In nutshell you need to have medicals done if you plan to live or work more than 6 months in Canada, at least once.

Apart from above questions if you could answer below queries then it would be really helpful for me and others as I too applied for WP with new employer on 15-Jan-2013.

1. Its evident that you applied online, if not please specify.
2. When did you applied for Open Work Permit (Date)?
3. How much was processing time ?
4. Is open work permit valid till validity of your work permit or study permit ?
5. Are you from Visa exempt country ?

Really appreciate your response.

Thanks

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
1) Yes she's on Visit Visa
2) She did not have a medical done, but I applied for Immigration Under Canadian Experience Class, and just got the medical request which I'll be completing for the both of us.
3) Approved work permit is till 2014.

Please refer to this thread as well
(w w w. canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t19942.0.html ). But my wife doesn't plan to work in any restricted occupation, so should I be doing these medical's

Your queries
1) I applied Online
2) Jan 14, 2014
3) Jan14th-March 1st (Still haven't received the WP in the mail)
4) Yes
5) No

anand243244

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Passport Req..
14-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-03-2014
salzafar said:
2) She did not have a medical done, but I applied for Immigration Under Canadian Experience Class, and just got the medical request which I'll be completing for the both of us.

(w w w. canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t19942.0.html ). But my wife doesn't plan to work in any restricted occupation, so should I be doing these medical's

Your queries
1) I applied Online
2) Jan 14, 2014
4) Yes
5) No
Yes your wife need to go for medical and may be same can be used for CEC and WP, but get it confirmed from call center.

Even my timelines are apprx same and me too waiting for WP in mail, please let me know once you get it. I am based in Toronto.

Thanks

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
Will update once I receive it.

1) How long have you been waiting since, you got the work permit approval notification in your myCIC online account ?

2) Did they send you the IMM1017 form online ?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
salzafar said:
Open Work permit Online which was approved as per the following message received in myCIC inbox (Feb-28-2013).

The confusion is does she need to do her Medical exam, since as per the letter dated (Mar-1-2013), the document has been issued and mailed to me.But then again letter Dated Feb 28th states "Immigration legislation requires that you and your accompanying family members if applicable,complete medical examinations", and the Feb 28th attachment included IMM1017 (Medical Report Form to be given to Doctor).

I read an old thread which talks about the permit being restricted till medical are done (w w w. canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t19942.0.html ). But my wife doesn't plan to work in any restricted occupation, so should I be doing these medical's ? Anyone else been in this situation before?

Feb-28-2013 10:14:09 AM ET
This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application has been approved and your new document will be sent to you separately.
You are authorized to remain in Canada under the conditions listed on the document(s). Please
read them carefully.

Immigration legislation requires that you and your accompanying family members if applicable,
complete medical examinations. The examination(s) must be conducted by one of the
panel physicians. To obtain a list of panel physician in your area please visit Citizenship and
Immigration Canada Internet web site at or contact your local Call Centre
at the number indicated below. It is your responsibility to contact one of these panel physicians
and make the necessary appointment. You must attach passport size photographs to the
medical forms PRIOR to your appointment. You must present all the forms attached to this
letter to the panel physician.

Mar-1-2013
Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure document has
been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application. If you have not received
your secure document within six weeks, contact CIC.
Type: Permit - WP-EXT / Permis - PT-PROR Validity 2014/08/14 Document Number U5xxxxxxxx
have u received the letter mail..i believe it should tell u to do a medical or not....but i may be wrong...wait for he letter

anand243244

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Request
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Passport Req..
14-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
02-03-2014
salzafar said:
Will update once I receive it.

1) How long have you been waiting since, you got the work permit approval notification in your myCIC online account ?

2) Did they send you the IMM1017 form online ?
1 - I got WP paper today in mail, got to know few minutes back
2- No, CIC didnt requested for medical too as I have done medical earlier when entered Canada first time.

achi

Jul 27, 2011
Hi salzafar,

I am also planing to apply visit visa for my to be wife immediately after our marriage next month.

I needed some information as you have also applied visit visa for your wife.

1. How long did it take to get visit visa for your wife.
2. What are the documents that needs to be shown to VF.

Cheers,
Achi

anitarana

Mar 28, 2013
anand243244 said:
1 - I got WP paper today in mail, got to know few minutes back
2- No, CIC didnt requested for medical too as I have done medical earlier when entered Canada first time.
Hi Anand,

thats gr8 news for ur wrk permit.
I did receive the same message as salzafar and I am also done with medical examination.
Can you pls let me know when did you apply for the work permit and whats the exact processing time in your case ?

Hoping for your response.
Thanks !!

kathcaspe

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
Hi can anyone help me on what to do on how to apply my husband under spousal visa. I'm a skilled worker now and I don't have any idea on how we can process it. please help us. Many Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

denishdmenace

Dec 23, 2013
Hi Salzafar,

Did you end up going for medical or you received your spouse's OWP without it? I am in the same situation.

Your input will be quite helpful. Shall I wait or undergo medical exam?

Warm Regards,
Denish

kakanicolas

May 16, 2014
salzafar said:

Your queries
1) I applied Online
2) Jan 14, 2014
4) Yes
5) No

Hello Salzafar:
I am facing the exactly the same situation as yours, may I know that have your wife take the medical exam finally?
If not, does it means that my wife can get the OWP document without the Medical exam results?
It's appreciated if I can get your reply.
Thanks,
Hui

priyas614

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
09-Mar-14
File Transfer...
09-Mar-14
Med's Request
23-Aug-14
Med's Done....
05-Sep-14
Hello,

I too have the same question. I am the primary applicant and my husband applied for his OWP, which got approved with the condition which says "Immigration legislation requires that you and your accompanying family members if applicable, complete medical examinations".
Do I also need to do my medical examination along with him? Or only he should be doing that? (FYI-I am a PR applicant under CEC category and have received my AOR, but still waiting for MR).

Please reply. Thanks.