+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit and PR application

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
Hi,

I need some help regarding my wife's open work permit and PR applications.

I am currently working on an open work permit in Canada valid till Jan 2015. I have also applied for my PR under the Ontario Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). My medicals were done in July 2013 and were received by CIC in August 2013. My current work permit was issued based on a support letter provided by Ontario PNP office.

I got married in November 2013 and my wife applied for an open work permit at VFS office in New Delhi on Dec 02, 2013. We have submitted proof of funds (bank statements for me in Canada and for my wife in India, our job offer letters, and FDs in India), relationship (notarized copy of marriage certificate, wedding card, wedding photographs), my wife's education and job. I have also submitted all the required forms mentioned by VFS office.

I have 3 questions:

1. Is there any reason why my wife's application for open work permit (OWP) may be rejected?
2. My wife would also like to apply for PR. When should I add her to my application - now or when she gets her OWP?
3. I will return to Canada soon. Should I apply for my wife's PR from India or from Canada?

Thanks a ton!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Sure - there's always a possibility of rejection. See: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spouse-owp-refused-t168219.0.html
2. You must include her in your PR application now.
3. It doesn't matter. The process is the same. Probably best to do it sooner rather than later.

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have had a similar case. I applied for PR in PNP category. My application came to "Decision made" and I was also given CoPR and immigrant visa, but I could not do my landing. Four months after I received CoPR I got married. After that I almost waited for 10 months to add my wife to PR application, this is mainly due to the closure of Buffalo office - my original PR processing office. All this time I was outside of Canada (in India).

I added my wife to my PR application, redid my medicals, wife did the medicals first time, got PPR in early October 2013. We were instructed to submit our passports at CPP-Ottawa, but we were living in India. Hence we decided to enter on "temporary visas". Government rules in India forbid sending passports outside of the country by mail/courier. Luckily I found a job in Canada and we sent our application for work permits- mine closed permit, wife's OWP.

I must say while I was applying for work permit to New Delhi office, I was like 50-50 on approval or rejection. But, I made sure to include a solid cover letter stating my case. My case was a case of dual intention. On this forum I gathered that in case of such a "dual intent" application the temporary visa is rejected. But it is case specific. Our application for work permit got approved in 8 days. This may be due to we were in the advanced stage of our PR application.

Sorry I had to write all this as a premise :)
In your case I would tend to think your wife's OWP application may be rejected. I also think the priority order is- adding your wife to PR application first, then applying for wife's OWP. I know it's not a fair world which keeps newly wed couples far away from each other :)
Good luck.