+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse of Temporary Work Permit holder with TRV - Travel to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I travelled to Canada during this pandemic. My husband is a Temporary skilled worker here and I was stuck in the UK. I contacted the Canadian Embassy to get a Travel Exemption letter, however, if I had it all over again, I wouldn't have travelled.
In the UK I was able to work and earn money, whereas, when I landed in Canada I applied for Spousal Open Work Permit at the airport, which I couldn't get because my travel exemption letter stated that the purpose of me travelling was to "reunite with my husband" and not to work. So I was issued with a 6 months visitor visa and told to apply for SOWP online. I have done that but with biometrics closed, I haven't been able to get work visa yet. It has been nearly 4 months with no income for me, which is very frustrating, especially as we found Canada to be more expensive than the UK.
You can't apply for SOWP at the airport. That was never an option even before coivid. I think there was a miscommunication. Your inability to work has nothing to do with your letter. You would have always had to apply online for the SOWP. It could also take longer than 4 months.

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
You can't apply for SOWP at the airport. That was never an option even before coivid. I think there was a miscommunication. Your inability to work has nothing to do with your letter. You would have always had to apply online for the SOWP. It could also take longer than 4 months.
Hi canuck78, hmm I'm no expert but I'm not sure this is correct. I was advised by a couple immigration advisers/lawyers that you apply for SOWP at the POE (for me that was the airport). When I got to Toronto airport, I presented my papers to the officer and she took them and said it would have otherwise been normal for me to get my SOWP, however, as biometrics were closed and my travel exemption stated that the purpose was to "reunite with my husband" she cannot approve my SOWP at my POE unfortunately.
A friend of mine who moved to Canada last year and got her temporary work permit approved at the airport - at her POE (Toronto), her husband travelled a few weeks after her and applied for his SOWP (presented the documents and papers) at POE and got his SOWP on the spot. Unless things have changed since second half of last year and the immigration advisers we spoke to had incorrect information.. However, since I've read about many people having very different experiences with coming into Canada (or being denied boarding) in the last few months, despite same circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another example of inconsistent information or rules implementation and depends more on how lucky you are with an officer you get.