+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse is an international student in the U.S., can she apply for open work permit?

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are both international graduate students. She is studying in the U.S. I want to invite her to visit me in Canada during the winter break this year, but I am confused about which type of visa she should apply for.

My question is, should my wife only apply for a TRV to visit me shortly in Canada? Is she eligible to apply for the spouse open work permit if she does not intend to work in Canada before she graduates from the U.S. university?

I ask these questions because I heard people say that some visa officers may feel a spouse has immigration intent and thus refuse an application if they apply for a temporary visitor visa to visit their spouse in Canada. Please advise me on which type of visa my wife should apply for. Thank you very much!!!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are both international graduate students. She is studying in the U.S. I want to invite her to visit me in Canada during the winter break this year, but I am confused about which type of visa she should apply for.

My question is, should my wife only apply for a TRV to visit me shortly in Canada? Is she eligible to apply for the spouse open work permit if she does not intend to work in Canada before she graduates from the U.S. university?

I ask these questions because I heard people say that some visa officers may feel a spouse has immigration intent and thus refuse an application if they apply for a temporary visitor visa to visit their spouse in Canada. Please advise me on which type of visa my wife should apply for. Thank you very much!!!
If you are a student in Canada and married, your wife can apply OWP
You can also try Visitor visa

IN both cases she has to establish purpose of visit, justify stay is temporary and show finances

You have to apply to see what happens. Good Luck

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
If you are a student in Canada and married, your wife can apply OWP
You can also try Visitor visa

IN both cases she has to establish purpose of visit, justify stay is temporary and show finances

You have to apply to see what happens. Good Luck
For finances, I will be responsible for most part of the visit, airfare, living expenses, etc. Does my wife need to provide bank statements as well? I mean, she is an international student in the U.S. and has no income source. Her own parents financially support her living and studying costs.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
For finances, I will be responsible for most part of the visit, airfare, living expenses, etc. Does my wife need to provide bank statements as well? I mean, she is an international student in the U.S. and has no income source. Her own parents financially support her living and studying costs.
She will need to provide as an adult

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
She will need to provide as an adult
Hi, thanks for the response. If she will need to provide finances as an adult, can I wire transfer some funds to her US account? She will use the funds I transferred to her as proof of financial support for her application. I will also mention that in my invitation letter, does it work?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi, thanks for the response. If she will need to provide finances as an adult, can I wire transfer some funds to her US account? She will use the funds I transferred to her as proof of financial support for her application. I will also mention that in my invitation letter, does it work?
New funds can be risky
Since she has a US visa already you can apply and see what happens

Good Luck