+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse inadmissible, advice?

Janelle.i

Dec 28, 2019
Hello,

I’m a Canadian citizen currently in the uk.
My husband was convicted with a dui in 2014 and 5 years from the date of the end of the suspension will be August 28 2021.

it’s my understanding that after that date we can apply for him to be deemed rehabilitated, and submit a spousal sponsorshipat the same time.

Does anyone have any experience with this that can share information about the process?

am I able to apply from the UK so we don’t have to be seperated? Is a lawyer required?

I did successfully apply for a UK visa without one.
The dui is his only offence, aside from a speeding ticket (30 over) which he received last year.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!!!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can apply from the UK as long as you can show you'll return to living in Canada. You don't need a lawyer but may want to consult one if it'll make you feel more assured about the process.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agree with above about investing in a UK police certificate to see what comes up.

Sure is 55 pounds and doesnt remove the need to be honest with Canada about the DUI but at least you will have a start point for when you can apply even though you will probably need a new certificate for when you apply for immigration so is just a piece of mind exercise

Speeding tickets on their own without some more serious motoring offence wont show up on a police report

Last edited:

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Agree with above about investing in a UK police certificate to see what comes up.

Sure is 55 pounds and doesnt remove the need to be honest with Canada about the DUI but at least you will have a start point for when you can apply even though you will probably need a new certificate for when you apply for immigration so is just a piece of mind exercise

Speeding tickets on their own without some more serious motoring offence wont show up on a police report
I don't think a speeding violation would show up on acro. It's considered a misdemeanor in the UK. The DUI might be on there though.

The UK is possibly the easiest country in the world when it comes to police certificates though. You can carry out the entire application online these days.