+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse employer insurance eligibility

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi all

I was wondering whether I would be eligible to be included in my wife’s employer insurance.

I still have visitor status although I have applied for inland application. And of course, as we all know that is gonna take who knows how long...

I am asking this question because I know that people with worker visa do not have access to Ontario health insurance, but they still get the employer’s complementary health insurance.

To clarify, the employers health insurance is just complementary to the one offered by Ontario. Meaning it doesn’t cover hospital medical bills etc... it’s mainly for dentist sort of things...

Does anybody know how it works?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all

I was wondering whether I would be eligible to be included in my wife’s employer insurance.

I still have visitor status although I have applied for inland application. And of course, as we all know that is gonna take who knows how long...

I am asking this question because I know that people with worker visa do not have access to Ontario health insurance, but they still get the employer’s complementary health insurance.

To clarify, the employers health insurance is just complementary to the one offered by Ontario. Meaning it doesn’t cover hospital medical bills etc... it’s mainly for dentist sort of things...

Does anybody know how it works?
Your wife will need to call the insurer and ask this question. Most policies will only cover a spouse once they have OHIP. However each plan is individual and the only way to find out is for her to call.

FYI - people with worker visas have access to OHIP.

Reactions: abdulzeedo

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Your wife will need to call the insurer and ask this question. Most policies will only cover a spouse once they have OHIP. However each plan is individual and the only way to find out is for her to call.

FYI - people with worker visas have access to OHIP.
You are right. I was just mentioning this one colleague of her that claims to not have OHIP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are right. I was just mentioning this one colleague of her that claims to not have OHIP.
Again, she needs to call the insurer.

Reactions: abdulzeedo