+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Convocation Visitor Visa

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Hello Guys,

Need help and guidance for applying for visitor visa for my wife to visit at my convocation.

My convocation is on 17 June.

I have following documents,

- Official Conformation letter of convocation date and also the completion of my degree requirements.
- Documents of funds from my father to support and also from my account.
- Invitation Letter from me and explanation from my wife.

I need help deciding

- Should I apply online
- I am trying to apply for duration of 2 Months
- Do I have an option of applying multiple entry or it is up to the visa officer?
- If she got Multiple entry can she spend more then 2 months as that will allow her up to 6 Months of stay
- Should I consider applying for less time and try to get Multiple Entry Visa
- any other considerations.

PS:- She was also rejected for a visitor visa the last October due to the purpose of visit.

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
Janmeet Singh said:
- Should I apply online
- I am trying to apply for duration of 2 Months
- Do I have an option of applying multiple entry or it is up to the visa officer?
- If she got Multiple entry can she spend more then 2 months as that will allow her up to 6 Months of stay
- Should I consider applying for less time and try to get Multiple Entry Visa
- any other considerations.

PS:- She was also rejected for a visitor visa the last October due to the purpose of visit.
- You can apply online. In my opinion, it makes no difference. It is still processed by the embassy regardless.
- Try to apply for a shorter period of time. You did not specify why she was denied at first - it it had to do with travel history of financials, asking for 2 months will most likely get you rejected again.
- It is automatically determined by CIC. You no longer have the option to ask for single / multiple.
- Single Visas are usually good for 6 months. However, at the point of entry, CBS agent may stamp for a shorter time. With a multiple, you can return as many as times until the expiry of your TRV.
- See point 2
- Try to show a strong financial standing for the applicant. Coming for a convocation is not a strong enough reason if she doesn't have enough financial stability. Try to show reasons for her to go back to her country (family, business, property ties), otherwise CIC will think she is at a risk of over staying.

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
simplyaddo said:
- You can apply online. In my opinion, it makes no difference. It is still processed by the embassy regardless.
- Try to apply for a shorter period of time. You did not specify why she was denied at first - it it had to do with travel history of financials, asking for 2 months will most likely get you rejected again.
- It is automatically determined by CIC. You no longer have the option to ask for single / multiple.
- Single Visas are usually good for 6 months. However, at the point of entry, CBS agent may stamp for a shorter time. With a multiple, you can return as many as times until the expiry of your TRV.
- See point 2
- Try to show a strong financial standing for the applicant. Coming for a convocation is not a strong enough reason if she doesn't have enough financial stability. Try to show reasons for her to go back to her country (family, business, property ties), otherwise CIC will think she is at a risk of over staying.
Thank you so much for this information

1. But can you suggest me should I apply for 2 weeks or 1 month.
2. For single entry will this mentioned duration have an impact on the duration set by the CBS agent. Or the interview at the point will define this.
3. She was rejected due to lack of strong ties in INDIA. I believe I can resolve this problem.
4. Can I do anything at all so we can get multiple entry? Like in explanation letter that can hint the CIC on this.
5 I can show funds up to 15,000 CAD can this improve the chances on the longer duration of stay?
6. Should I buy tickets beforehand to increase the chances.

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
Janmeet Singh said:
Thank you so much for this information

1. But can you suggest me should I apply for 2 weeks or 1 month.
2. For single entry will this mentioned duration have an impact on the duration set by the CBS agent. Or the interview at the point will define this.
3. She was rejected due to lack of strong ties in INDIA. I believe I can resolve this problem.
4. Can I do anything at all so we can get multiple entry? Like in explanation letter that can hint the CIC on this.
5 I can show funds up to 15,000 CAD can this improve the chances on the longer duration of stay?
6. Should I buy tickets beforehand to increase the chances.
1. Increasing the duration will decrease the chances of approval. Requesting 2~3 weeks is safer and if it is approved, the provided duration would be longer than that.
2. See 1
4. Not really. You can put it in the introductory letter that you (the applicant) would like to be considered for a multiple trv (and add a sound reason) but ultimately it is up to them.
5. Be careful with this. Any recent deposits to her account need to be carefully explained to ensure that CIC believes and understands that this money belongs to the applicant and not deposited to fulfill TRV requirements
6. Return tickets can help and add weight to the application. Make sure you get refundable ones in case the application is not approved.

Janmeet Singh

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Hey,

For online the application, should the documents uploaded be attested or scans of original documents are acceptable.