+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Application from US

S_J

Star Member
Apr 28, 2009
Dear members,

I’m trying to get information on how I can sponsor my wife and stepson for Canadian PR.

I’m currently working in US on a TN. My wife (Pakistani citizen) and stepson (Pakistani citizen) are here with me in US on TD visas respectively. I have been outside of Canada for the last 5 years working in US.

I’m assuming this will be considered as an Outland application. One of the key aspects of the application seems like a letter that I have to write to ensure Immigration that I will move to Canada once the application is approved. Is there any guideline on how to write this letter.

Is there any guidelines for my spouse on what documents she will require for the application. Also anything I need to keep in mind with this sorts of an application.

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’m currently working in US on a TN. My wife (Pakistani citizen) and stepson (Pakistani citizen) are here with me in US on TD visas respectively. I have been outside of Canada for the last 5 years working in US.

I’m assuming this will be considered as an Outland application. One of the key aspects of the application seems like a letter that I have to write to ensure Immigration that I will move to Canada once the application is approved. Is there any guideline on how to write this letter.
If you are a PR, basically, you cannot. You'll have to apply from within Canada. If you're not in compliance with the residency obligation (which you can't be after five years), you'll have to wait several years.

If you're a citizen - yes, you need to show intent to return to Canada. Search for that phrase in the family sponsorship forum (here) and you'll find examples. But start with the instructions.

Note, it is not just 'writing a letter' but demonstrating that you have serious intent as evidenced by preparations.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you are a PR, basically, you cannot. You'll have to apply from within Canada. If you're not in compliance with the residency obligation (which you can't be after five years), you'll have to wait several years.

If you're a citizen - yes, you need to show intent to return to Canada. Search for that phrase in the family sponsorship forum (here) and you'll find examples. But start with the instructions.

Note, it is not just 'writing a letter' but demonstrating that you have serious intent as evidenced by preparations.
If they are on a TN , they’d be a Canadian citizen

Reactions: armoured and scylla