+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Work Permit

Singhsonali

Jan 8, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I need help in understanding which process will be better for me to get spousal open work permit. My husband is on student permit & it is valid till September. We got married in December so looking for spousal work permit. Please suggest the best option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I need help in understanding which process will be better for me to get spousal open work permit. My husband is on student permit & it is valid till September. We got married in December so looking for spousal work permit. Please suggest the best option.
You can attempt to apply for an SOWP. Do you have along dating history and time in person? Permits and visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students and you usually need 6 months left on a permit to get approved for an SOWP. You would also need special authorization yo travel at the moment which isn’t guaranteed. In cases of arranged marriages where couples have spent very little time together SOWPs are often denied on the first attempt because the government wants more proof that this is a genuine relationship. Realistically given the long processing times for SOWP and the fact that your spouse will be ending his studies in August it is more likely that you will get SOWP after your spouse applies for PGWP and has a job in NOC 0, A or B.

Singhsonali

Jan 8, 2021
Yeah we are dating each other for 3 years and in contact with each other from 5 years.

You can attempt to apply for an SOWP. Do you have along dating history and time in person? Permits and visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students and you usually need 6 months left on a permit to get approved for an SOWP. You would also need special authorization yo travel at the moment which isn’t guaranteed. In cases of arranged marriages where couples have spent very little time together SOWPs are often denied on the first attempt because the government wants more proof that this is a genuine relationship. Realistically given the long processing times for SOWP and the fact that your spouse will be ending his studies in August it is more likely that you will get SOWP after your spouse applies for PGWP and has a job in NOC 0, A or B.

Singhsonali

Jan 8, 2021
Thanks for your suggestion.

Razeena

May 18, 2021

You reply this "visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students " to anybody who asks about spouse visa for students. But you are wrong . Many students are getting it when their documents are valid.

tdot92

Jun 24, 2022
You reply this "visas are not guaranteed for spouses of international students " to anybody who asks about spouse visa for students. But you are wrong . Many students are getting it when their documents are valid.
What's wrong in that? Are you suggesting that visas are guaranteed? If so, then that's just absurd. He didn't say that some people won't get them, he just said that most people who have a recent arranged marriage tend to get refused, which is accurate.