+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Work permit Extension

vaimikpatel

Nov 21, 2019
Hi there,

I am a student in Canada and my wife is living with me. My study permit and her open work permit both are going to expire on 31st December, 2019. I did my education in 2 years post-graduate program. After completion of my study, I have already applied online for PGWP on 30th August, 2019. According to IRCC website, PGWP processing time is approx 116 days(approx 3 months 15 days). So probably I will get my PGWP by mid of December 2019 and then she can apply for her work permit extension. So now my questions are:

1) If she already applied for her work permit extension and then her old work permit expires then can she work on implied status?

2) In worst case, If I don't get my work permit before her work permit expires then can she apply for visitor visa to restore her status and can she stay until they we get final decision on her application?

3) For visitor visa is it necessary to apply 30 days before expiration of work permit?

Please provide me some suggestions on this case.
Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you currently working in a job in NOC 0, A or B? Will you have 3 pay stubs by the end of December?

If you get the PGWP by the end of December I would suggest you go to the border it’s your wife and all your documentation to get her OWP. If you don’t have all the stuff by the end of December you can change her status online to visitor status. Don’t wait until the very last day but a day or two before I would apply to change her status to visitor. She can’t work but can remain in Canada. Once you are ready to apply I would go to the hordes so you get the OWP as soon as possible.

vaimikpatel

Nov 21, 2019
Yes I have a NOC B job and I have also more than 3 pay stubs because my job was started by start of September. Thanks you very very much for your suggestion.

vaimikpatel

Nov 21, 2019
I got approved my work permit and I am waiting for my work permit document to apply for spouse work permit extention for that I created an account(gc key account) for her on online application portal and completed a list of questions asked for an application then I came on the page where I need to upload a documents for an application but there I don't see any place to upload my pay stubs and my offer letter like that so I am confused am I doing wrong application or they changed the file uploading options. Can someone guide me about this? Thanks in advance.

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
Hello guys..pls help...i applied for an extension work permit based on my husband closed work permit. I got refusal last due to the officer thought that I applied for PGWP extension which is not the case. Can I send a reconsideration request to re-open my file? I'm so frustrated. Thanks

Ajnim

Oct 18, 2018
Hello guys..pls help...i applied for an extension work permit based on my husband closed work permit. I got refusal last due to the officer thought that I applied for PGWP extension which is not the case. Can I send a reconsideration request to re-open my file? I'm so frustrated. Thanks
Anybody can help me with the above question