+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal work experience after graduation

gretzky11

Oct 2, 2019
Hi everyone,
Long time listener, first time caller.

I received an ITA today and am looking for anyone with some insight or advice with my partner's work experience. At the moment, both my partner and I are residing in Canada on temporary permits - I am on a work permit and they are on a study permit. They graduated from their program in March of this year and our permits are set to expire in December this year. Immediately following graduation my partner applied for a work permit as they were offered a job. Since they were still in status with their study permit, they were legally allowed to work while their permit was processing which took until the middle of June. We found out at that point that the permit was denied, totally due to faults of our own with failing to provide enough documentation. At that time we knew we wanted to apply for PR, and since it was already June by then we decided to start working on our PR applications. It is now October and I have just received my ITA. My partner continued to work throughout this time, although they were technically no longer allowed to work after we received the work permit rejection in June and were still just on a study permit.

My question is how to list this work experience on the application. Obviously they didn't have legal status to work from June-October (when they will apply for a spousal work permit again), but leaving the work experience out altogether on the application could put us in a worse situation by incorrectly representing our history. Not sure if it makes a difference, but on the application I am the only applicant and my partner is listed as not accompanying me. They didn't meet the requirements for any EE class, so we plan to get myself situated first, get them a work permit while my application is processing, and then I will sponsor them.

Thanks in advance!