+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal taxes

Qasi23

Jun 7, 2020
I need information regarding my spousal sponsorship application. I'm going to sponsor my wife through Outland sponsorship. I'm currently not living in Canada but I can sponsor her cause I'm Canadian by birth. I don't understand one thing, I have to put my job history and current job situation in one of the forms. Is it going to be an issue that I own a business in another country other than Canada? I don't pay any taxes in Canada, I left the country right after my graduation and it has been more than 8 years. How do I go about it? I pay taxes in the country I live in right now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I need information regarding my spousal sponsorship application. I'm going to sponsor my wife through Outland sponsorship. I'm currently not living in Canada but I can sponsor her cause I'm Canadian by birth. I don't understand one thing, I have to put my job history and current job situation in one of the forms. Is it going to be an issue that I own a business in another country other than Canada? I don't pay any taxes in Canada, I left the country right after my graduation and it has been more than 8 years. How do I go about it? I pay taxes in the country I live in right now.
No issue but you will need to prove that you and your spouse will be relocating to Canada once she gets PR. That can be difficult if you have a business abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But there won't be any issue about the tax. Right?
No although I don’t know your whole situation so can’t tell if you have any ties that would make you a resident for tax purposes.

proving that you will be returning to Canada requires quite a lot of evidence especially in your situation.

Qasi23

Jun 7, 2020
Actually the business is owned by my FIL and his 2 brothers. My husband works like an employee but they are planning to put my husbands name in place of fils cause fil wants retire now. And secondly my husband came back around 2009 when he completed his bachelors. He has visited Canada a few times after that but not lived there.

Qasi23

Jun 7, 2020
Also my kids have Canadian citizenship because of their father and I have a valid visitor visa. We visited Canada for vacation in 2018.