+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship

ReyIII

Mar 24, 2024
Hello all, just looking for a bit of advice. Me (permanent resident) and my wife (citizen of philippines) just got married and we just found out she is pregnant (10 weeks now) I just returned to canada and was planning to start the application to sponsor her and then when baby is born apply for our child's proof of citizenship. I am just curious if there is anyway to get her here before the baby is born?
Should I wait till the baby is born before start the application?

Thank you so much for any help.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hello all, just looking for a bit of advice. Me (permanent resident) and my wife (citizen of philippines) just got married and we just found out she is pregnant (10 weeks now) I just returned to canada and was planning to start the application to sponsor her and then when baby is born apply for our child's proof of citizenship. I am just curious if there is anyway to get her here before the baby is born?

About the only way is a tourist visa, if she has all the IRCC looks for (travel history, ties to home, etc.) to qualify. But, if they know of your relationship, then you will look like a stronger tie to Canada and a TRV will not likely be approved.

nyantaro19

Star Member
Feb 7, 2024
Category........
Other

I think it's safer to wait for the baby to be born, apply for spousal sponsorship with the child included

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

You can try to apply TRV for her to come before baby is born. But be prepare to pay all the healthcare (most likely but since we don't know which providence you resided ) and for the cost of child birth out of pocket. She needs to pass medical for sponsorship application and I am not sure if you want her to get X ray during her pregnancy. If not, the medical cannot be completed until child is born.

Also if you wait to sponsor them after child is born, you need to put them both on the sponsorship application. (you cannot apply for child's proof of citizenship because you are a PR, not citizen)

I agree that the safest way is to wait till child is born and apply for both of them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree that the safest way is to wait till child is born and apply for both of them.
Apart from the x-ray issue (which will delay things somewhat), there's really no issue with applying to sponsor the spouse before the child is born and then adding the child to the application afterwards. Yes, it will take some time to have IRCC add the child (for which getting the child's docs etc is a necessary step too), but I think for most, they do not wish to travel long distances with a newborn for at least four to six months anyway.

This should overall be faster than waiting and applying after the child is born and when the child has all documents. If the medical is not done early in process due to x-ray issue, as far as I'm aware they continue with other background and eligibility checks.

IRCC is not phased by adding newborns to the existing app, this is quite normal. The only thing some seem to find surprising is that IRCC won't 'add' a newborn to the file or even take much note (because to IRCC the newborn does not exist yet). The only notice IRCC will take before birth (in the sense of pay attention to) is a note that the mother can't do the x-ray at first (i.e. that the medical exam results will be delayed).