+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

boxsterspeed3

Sep 5, 2010
scylla said:
You will become a permanent resident once you have the visa in your passport and you have landed in Canada (i.e. entered Canada as a new permanent resident). If you haven't done this - then you aren't a PR yet.

Do not get married until AFTER you have landed in Canada and become a PR. This is very very important. If you get married before you become a PR, this means that you will never be able to sponsor your wife and will likely create big problems for your own PR status.
thank you so much scylla.. :)

We're hoping that the time comes we will process my gf's application, there will be no barriers and have continuous flow.

I'll do whatever it takes just to be with my girlfriend, sooner to be wife, in Canada. :D

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
angelcalgary said:
Hi,

Hi,

First I would like to thank you for this post, it is truly helpful. However, I have a question I was hoping could be answered.

My Situation:

I am not currently married to my fiance. We are trying to decide what our best options are. He lives in Italy and I live in Canada. He is currently finishing an International Masters Degree in Italy. We are hoping that once he finishes his first year (Nov 2011), he could come to Canada and do his thesis here. Once he finishes his thesis, he would have to go back to Italy and graduate. We were hoping that the timing would work out good and by the time he graduates he has his PR.

1) I am going to see him for Christmas and we are trying to decide if we should marry now or wait. If we married in December 2010 in Italy and we applied for the sponsorship/PR outland, would there be any issues with him coming here to do his thesis? Could he still obtain a student visa without complicating the application for sponsorship/PR? In other words, could he be denied a student visa if there is already an application in for PR?

Thank you for your time :)
If he meets the criteria for a study permit, it is totally possible that he will get one even with the PR application in process.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2010 said:
Can any one tell me what happens when sponsorship is approved from Canada and sent to Jamaica and if the Kingston office sends mail or an email giving a file #, if they do how long does this take? I am from Canada and have sponsored my husband from Jamaica (in September) and was approved and sent to Jamaica a month later (the 3rd of October). It is now almost the end of November and we haven't received a word from the Kingston office, not a phone call, email or letter. I was told that our application is at the Kingston office but, they haven't sent anything to us about us even being there. I do have in mind that the whole process takes forever but, like mentioned b4..do they send a file number or something to let u know they have it or its processing. please help
Check the Jamaica thread to see how long it is taking to get AOR's. It could be that this is normal for this office. I heard they were in a mess there and that a new program manager is working hard to clean up that visa post. And you can always fax and/or email them and request your file number. Can't promise they will respond to you but it's worth a try.

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Your welcome macskaagy!

If you guys are serious about getting married, get married first and apply outland through Vienna. The processing time is 7 months but I`ve known people getting their PR in 3-4 months via this embassy. It is one of the fastest in Europe and they don`t deal with such an enormous amount of appl. as inland. You could come to Canada already as a PR and could start your life together, if you are not in such a rush and able to wait a few months. Believe me being inland is a lot of hussle, you should prepare not being allowed to work for who knows how long, no health coverage, ect. It can be a toll on relationships big time. I live in Canada for 3 years by now, I was studying, working, visiting, having every kind of visa and situation and I can say I wouldn`t have done half of it without being 100% committed to my boyfiend/ later husband. You face a lot of restrictions, struggles which would never happen in Hungary. I have my husband and a little boy, so I did inland to make sure I will be with them, but if I didn`t have a child, I would surely do outland.
Know what you get yourself into :) I`m from Budapest too, and sometimes miss it alot!

beanpole

Nov 18, 2010
Hello,

I am new to this site, so please excuse me if my questions have been previously posted and answered. I am currently in Canada on a open access working visa with no extention allowed. I am living with my boyfriend and have been blissfully for 9 months. We want to become common law and apply for the common law visa. We cannot apply until we have been living together for a year. Here is the problem my visa runs out March 13th and we can only apply for the common law visa February 6th, according to the Canadian immigration website it will take 9-18 months for the visa to be finalised, however if I overstay my visa by more than a few weeks I will be deported. If I return to the UK where I am a citizen then our common law status is void so what can we do to get out of this catch 22? Can anyone offer me any advice to help in this situation please??? Kind regards and many thanks in advance :)

Leah

dorisiana

Nov 13, 2010
Laguna, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB. 28 2011
Doc's Request.
MAY 5 2011
AOR Received.
MAY 6 2011
File Transfer...
APRIL 4 2011
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 2010
Passport Req..
MAY 6 2011
VISA ISSUED...
in God's will..
LANDED..........
God knows what's best for us.
filipina said:
what country will be processing your application? coz in Manila Philippines if the Principal applicant or any of your dependent was birth late registered THEN you have to provide additional documents such as BAPTISMAL, ELEMENTARY RECORDS, BIRTH CERTIFICATE by Civil Registration. so there will be no problem about birth late registry, now the question is are you legally or is she/he your under custody? you have to provide some proof that your ex-husband has a full knowledge and giving his child consent of migrating to canada the embassy might ask some proofs but if you have those im sure there will be no problem.

This might need this it will help go to this web page 7 DECLARATION FROM NON-ACCOMPANYING
PARENT/GUARDIAN FOR MINORS IMMIGRATING TO CANADA

your ex-husband need to sign this form.

in your friends case i dont understand what you actually are talking about but i think your friend didn't declare his wife's child when applying for spousal sponsorship, but yeah it was misrepresentation but i dont think they will denied because of that, not declaring of the dependent will be totally a big mistake because you will never ever sponsor her/him in the future.

hi FIIPINA thank you very much for your reply it really helps!!
ma and the father of my child has no communication ever since I became pregnant with my daughter and he didn't acknowledge my daughter (he probably didn't even know i gave birth to his child) so does it mean I have the full custody of my daughter and I don't need anything, consent or permission of the father If my husband wants to petition me and her?
thank you again very very much!! God bless!

dorisiana

Nov 13, 2010
Laguna, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB. 28 2011
Doc's Request.
MAY 5 2011
AOR Received.
MAY 6 2011
File Transfer...
APRIL 4 2011
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 2010
Passport Req..
MAY 6 2011
VISA ISSUED...
in God's will..
LANDED..........
and also, I'm from Philippines but the papers will be processed in Mississauga. Thank you! Thank God for this forum! :)

GaganG

Nov 19, 2010
Hi there!

I am a Canadian Citizen by birth, and my husband is British. We married in Canada in Aug 2009, and I moved to England. I've been back and forth from Canada to England, as I was still completing my degree in Canada. We have decided to move to Canada, and we are finalizing our application documents. Basically, I've been here since April on a Spousal Visa, but will be returning to Canada in January (already booked my ticket) to resume living there. We are doing our application here, but will be posting it to my parents in Canada so they can submit it in Mississauga Ontario.

I am confused as to the Passport situation. I keep hearing different things, and wanted clarification. Do we BOTH have to submit our actual passports along with our application? Some people are saying that only my Husband will have to submit a photocopy of his passport, as well as mine. But others are saying I have to send in a photocopy and HE needs to send his actual passport. We need to post the application within the next few days, so can some one PLEASE clarify ALL the supporting documents I need to send. I know there ar guides, and checklists, but since I keep hearing different things, I just wanted to confirm. This forum has been SO SO helpful, so I'd really appreciate it if some one could help me :)

Gagan

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You said you are a Canadian Citizen, but then you said you are on a "spousal visa", why, as a Citizen you do not need a visa ?

The guides and checklists are the definitive documents, they should be the things that you read and abide by.
By all means ask questions about specific questions, but clearly there is not much point in people here listing what the guides say as you should already have them.

ahmad2010

Nov 20, 2010
Leon said:
Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency.
Question: Is this a MUST? Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmad2010 said:
Question: Is this a MUST? Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
Not only do you have to prove it, I think you actually have to do it.

dorisiana

Nov 13, 2010
Laguna, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB. 28 2011
Doc's Request.
MAY 5 2011
AOR Received.
MAY 6 2011
File Transfer...
APRIL 4 2011
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 2010
Passport Req..
MAY 6 2011
VISA ISSUED...
in God's will..
LANDED..........
hi great people!! I have a question, the father of my child is not listed in my daughter's birth certificate, (her birth certificate is late registered) i decided not to include the father since we had no communication since i became pregnant. I thinking I won't have any problem of the custody of my daughter, is that right? I just like to make sure because if the immigration ask me to find the father and ask for a signed consent of whatever i honestly don't know where I can find the guy. and anyways he was not interested about the chid because she left me when i was pregnant. any reply or suggestions will be highly appreciated. thank you!

filipina

Dec 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2010
Med's Done....
16-08-2010
Passport Req..
04-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
18-02-2011
dorisiana said:
hi great people!! I have a question, the father of my child is not listed in my daughter's birth certificate, (her birth certificate is late registered) i decided not to include the father since we had no communication since i became pregnant. I thinking I won't have any problem of the custody of my daughter, is that right? I just like to make sure because if the immigration ask me to find the father and ask for a signed consent of whatever i honestly don't know where I can find the guy. and anyways he was not interested about the chid because she left me when i was pregnant. any reply or suggestions will be highly appreciated. thank you!
well if your child has your last name that would be automatically you has a full custody but immigration might ask your history of relationship to the father of your child, what was the set up between you and the father of the child. just write a written explanation of your history relationship just incase they ask what the status between you and the father tell them that since you got pregnant the guy left you and dont want to have obligation to the child and you dont have any communication at all and dont know where he is up to now, this will not affect your application but they might ask you some proofs or some documents, coz when i included my son im not married to my husband so embassy manila ask for our history and status of our relationship coz my son has his fathers name and i included the travel permit to immigrate signed by his father but in your case i dont think you need the consent of your ex cause he abandoned his child. go to the DSWD website this may also help you when traveling your kid... http://www.dswd.gov.ph/index.php/categoryblog/1886-travel-clearance-for-minors-

by the way how old is your kid? if the child is still under 7 according to phil. law the child is under the mother's custody. i hope this make sense ;)