Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015 (Proof of Sponsor's Canadian Residence); 08-09-2015 (FBI)
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
File Transfer...
24-04-2015 Ottawa; 08-12-2015 LA; DM 19-01-2016; pics request 12-02-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 19-02-2016!!!
I am a Canadian Citizen and my husband is a US Permanent Resident. We are requesting CPC-O as the VISA office. I understand that sponsorship applications for a US citizen spouse can be around 6-8 months. How long for US Permanent residents? Also, will our application be processed by CPC-O for sure?

Documentary evidence: I want to keep our original cards, etc. for sentimental purposes. Will it be okay to submit copies to CPC-O? Is it okay of these copies are double-sided?

I would be okay with sending the originals if I knew that CPC-O is one of the visa offices that sends back originals. Does anyone know?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
triple p said:
I am a Canadian Citizen and my husband is a US Permanent Resident. We are requesting CPC-O as the VISA office. I understand that sponsorship applications for a US citizen spouse can be around 6-8 months. How long for US Permanent residents? Also, will our application be processed by CPC-O for sure?
Sponsorship and Permanent Residency are the same thing. How Outland sponsorship works is the sponsor application, the applicant's applicaiton for PR status AND all relationship proof get sent TOGETHER in the sam package to Mississauga. Mississauga will process the sponsor's application, then once the canadian sponsor is found eligible, CIC will then INTERNALLY transfer the application to the appropriate visa office for the applicant. You are correct that US applications are processed in OTtawa. YOU do not send the application to ottawa, CIC will do that for you.

There is a thread specific to the ottawa visa office, and you can find the link in my signature below. The current "trend" for straight forward US citizens going through the process is 3-7 months. You will notice most 2014 applicants have already landed. Keep in mind since your husband is a US PR and not a citizen, it is not guaranteed his application will be processed that quickly or that it won't be transferred to the visa office for his home country or LA. No one can say for sure until CIC processes the file.

triple p said:
Documentary evidence: I want to keep our original cards, etc. for sentimental purposes. Will it be okay to submit copies to CPC-O? Is it okay of these copies are double-sided?

I would be okay with sending the originals if I knew that CPC-O is one of the visa offices that sends back originals. Does anyone know?
There is no need to send originals of cards, photo copies will work just fine. If you look on the checklist, i believe it even says not to send originals. If you send originals, there isn't a guarantee you'll get it back, though some people report getting their items back with their approval. Again, it's not necesary. As a US citizen, there is a lower threshold for proving the validity of your relationship, and original documentation is not a requirement. AGain, copies will do just fine.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
triple p said:

Since your husband is a U.S. Green Card holder, that may have an impact on where his Visa Office is determined by CIC. I suspect that his chances of CPC-O are still quite good, but I don't think that anyone can absolutely guarantee that.

Sending copies is fine, but single-sided seem to be what most people send, but I don't know of any CIC regulation that would prohibit double-sided pages.

Good luck!