+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship: Translation for WhatsApp Messages

Hrishi2704

Jul 30, 2018
Hi All,

I have a question about WhatsApp chat translation. Most/all my conversation with my wife are in my native language. Hence, I understand that I need translations.

I have tried looking into several certified translation companies in Canada as well as India. Most are quite expensive and hence I am leaning towards an alternative. One of my friends has agreed to provide translations along with a sworn affidavit attesting to his English language proficiency. He may also provide his IELTS Score as a documented proof of proficiency.

I am basing my argument on the statement (down below) from IMM5289. From my understanding, and based on the information provided by IRCC, "a person" can be anyone except the applicant, sponsor, family or a representative. In my case, it is my friend. Besides, since WhatsApp chats are unofficial documents, I am thinking this type of translation should suffice. All my official documents are in English and do not require any translation.

Please let me know your thoughts. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Translations may be done by:

• a person who is fluent in both languages (English or French, and the unofficial language); or
  • a Canadian certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada).

falcon500

Jul 17, 2023
I would suggest getting it done by a cerified translator in your home country and have the originals mail it to you.

So much cheaper that way. You may end up paying hundreds of dollars if you get it done here. Hope this helps