+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship to Cnanada for person on Asulym and Work Permit in USA

a21

Jun 18, 2019
I am a Canadian citizen, planning to marry my boyfriend who is on asylum in USA currently. His has a work permit which he has to renew every year or so.

When I sponsor him to Canada, what happens to the following:

1. Should he withdraw his US asylum case or it is done automatically and at what point of time? Does he have to withdraw his case in USA before I submit my application as sponsor or he can do it after spousal sponsorship process is complete.

2. In case he is required to withdraw his current status application in US, before the sponsorship process is complete in Canada, what will happen to his Work Permit and his "working privileges"?

3. Is he barred to visit USA thereafter, is there a ban for certain number of years or lifetime, once he moves to Canada based on PR status? Will we be able to move to USA in future via job or business investment., in case we want to.

4. He does not have his Indian Passport at the moment and not sure if he is able to get that now. He has I-94 arrival-departure record card. When he gets Permanent Resident status in Canada, can he enter Canada based on I-94. or Can Canada issue him any type of Travel document based on which he can enter Canada.

5. In any circumstances, can his file be sent to his home country India for processing like for eg any interview or so. Since he doesn't have Indian Passport now and is on Asylum in USA, its not possible for him to go back to India.

Please help me get some clarity on these queries, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Canadian citizen, planning to marry my boyfriend who is on asylum in USA currently. His has a work permit which he has to renew every year or so.

1. Should he withdraw his US asylum case or it is done automatically and at what point of time? Does he have to withdraw his case in USA before I submit my application as sponsor or he can do it after spousal sponsorship process is complete.

2. In case he is required to withdraw his current status application in US, before the sponsorship process is complete in Canada, what will happen to his Work Permit and his "working privileges"?

3. Is he barred to visit USA thereafter, is there a ban for certain number of years or lifetime, once he moves to Canada based on PR status? Will we be able to move to USA in future via job or business investment., in case we want to.

4. He does not have his Indian Passport at the moment and not sure if he is able to get that now. He has I-94 arrival-departure record card. When he gets Permanent Resident status in Canada, can he enter Canada based on I-94. or Can Canada issue him any type of Travel document based on which he can enter Canada.

5. In any circumstances, can his file be sent to his home country India for processing like for eg any interview or so. Since he doesn't have Indian Passport now and is on Asylum in USA, its not possible for him to go back to India.

Thanks,
Can't comment on the US side of things.

4. He requires a valid passport to immigrate to Canada. He will not be issued a travel document by Canada.

5. Yes, his file will likely be sent to India. Given his US refugee claim, he can expect an interview, so if the app is sent to India, he will have to return there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks,
1. He should not withdraw until his Canadian PR application is approved and he is ready to move to Canada.
2. See above.
3. Assume he will be banned for 10 years and won't be able to enter the US for a full decade. Whether he will be able to enter once the 10 year ban has ended is difficult to predict. It may not be possible with an abandoned refugee claim. Would probably be best to ask this question on a US immigration forum.