+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - Source of income

yednickteck

May 10, 2018
Hi,

I'm working on an application for PR in Canada. My husband is my sponsor but I'm doing all the paperwork. I'm currently working on the "detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsors person(s)". Our situation is that his parents have said that we can live with them. Our savings are, honestly, very low. My parents will probably give/lend us money if needed. My husband is a web developer so will hopefully find work quite quickly as his skills are in demand in Calgary. I'm wondering if I should just get my parents to drop some money in a bank account for me so we can show a higher level of savings or if the below letter is good enough:

I, [name], am currently working in the UK and will be looking for work once I arrive in Alberta. As a web developer, I have skills that are in high demand and www.payscale.com estimates that I should be able to earn at least $50k per annum. I have seen a number of job postings at my level in Calgary which are in the $80-120k range. I am confident that I will be able to find a job earning at least $50k, which will be enough to support our family.

We will have a small amount of savings (approx. $2,000 after flights and paying for this visa) to tide us over the initial landing period, but our expenses in this period will be low as my parents have offered to let us stay with them without paying rent or utilities until we have got settled (when I have found a job and we have rented our own place). So our expenses will be limited to food and gas. I already work as a user tester online and doing academic surveys and can realistically aim to earn $100-200 minimum per month doing this kind of work to supplement our savings while I’m looking for a job. My father owns his own company, which I have worked at before, and he has confirmed that so long as there is work available, he would be happy for me to work for him to help us through this period. I previously had my own web design company in Canada and I could do something like this again if needed in order to supplement our savings. I have included a letter from my parents outlining their willingness to support us when we land. My wife is a stay at home mom and hoping to come as a visitor under dual intent so will not be working during this period.

Having said that, while we have thought about plans for how I will support the family if it takes a while for me to find a job, I am expecting it to take weeks or at most a couple of months to find a permanent full-time job given my skills and experience.​

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
If you are not working in Canada, provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper.

Reactions: bahar.april

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
I think what you’ve written is very convincing and I think you should be fine since you’ve mentioned the parents being able to support you and your husband should easily be able to find work. I don’t think you need the parents to put money in your account but that’s up to you if you want to be safe.

We had a similar situation as we are both in Australia. We had a bit more saved but we submitted a similar letter saying my parents would do the same for us. We also included an old reference letter from a job my partner previously had in Canada to show he was “employable”. In addition to that we sent in a few payslips from our current jobs to show what our jobs earn us now, as well as some bank statements just showing we always paid off our bills and everything on time to try to demonstrate that we are “financially responsible”.

We also had my mom write a letter which she got notarized saying she would be able to help us so you might want to think about that if you can, adds more weight to have it coming from your parents and not just you.

yednickteck

May 10, 2018
I think what you’ve written is very convincing and I think you should be fine since you’ve mentioned the parents being able to support you and your husband should easily be able to find work. I don’t think you need the parents to put money in your account but that’s up to you if you want to be safe.

We had a similar situation as we are both in Australia. We had a bit more saved but we submitted a similar letter saying my parents would do the same for us. We also included an old reference letter from a job my partner previously had in Canada to show he was “employable”. In addition to that we sent in a few payslips from our current jobs to show what our jobs earn us now, as well as some bank statements just showing we always paid off our bills and everything on time to try to demonstrate that we are “financially responsible”.

We also had my mom write a letter which she got notarized saying she would be able to help us so you might want to think about that if you can, adds more weight to have it coming from your parents and not just you.
Thank you that’s really helpful. I’ll get letters or emails from my parents and his.

calvinw06

Jun 8, 2015
Hello, I just like to know if there's a format to writing this notarized letter by the parents? I left my job two months ago due to the toxic environment of my job and planning look for another one soon. I still have good relationship with my previous job too and a letter of employment from them. It looks like I'll need notarized letter too cause I only have a saving of $12,000 plus. My parents also have a restaurant too. But they don't pay me since I don't like taking money from them. Just help them cause my mom have MS disease. I look to start my own mobile detailing business too. So should all of this be included in the source of income explanation?

limonade

Jul 20, 2018
I feel like I’m going to ask a stupid question but no where in my application that we just submitted this month using the updated forms did it ask for a letter or explanation of how we are going to support ourselves. We are applying for my spouse Outland. It asked for my Notice of assessment and employment verification. Nothing about my savings as a sponsor etc. I am suddenly panicking feeling as if I missed something. Are you applying Outland?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I feel like I’m going to ask a stupid question but no where in my application that we just submitted this month using the updated forms did it ask for a letter or explanation of how we are going to support ourselves. We are applying for my spouse Outland. It asked for my Notice of assessment and employment verification. Nothing about my savings as a sponsor etc. I am suddenly panicking feeling as if I missed something. Are you applying Outland?
If your NOA shows sufficient income for both of you, you don't have to submit additional information.

limonade

Jul 20, 2018
If your NOA shows sufficient income for both of you, you don't have to submit additional information.
Ahhh ok thank you, additional info and not from the application. I kind of panicked thinking that I missed something on the document. I will most likely have to since I just finished grad school this month and haven’t been working this last year. But that’s ok and the information is there and solid enough for when/if asked to supply. I appreciate your response.

Aaqil1

Nov 10, 2018
Hi all
I have a question, approximately how much income is required as additional income, I sponsored my spouse along with his 5 dependants, so apprximately how much income is required by immigration spousal sponsorhip?

Thanks in advance