+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship- Question on Biometrics

Mar 15, 2020
I mailed my Spousal Sponsorship outland paper application via DHL before mid March 2020, paid all other requisite fees except the Biometric fee because I actually had my Biometrics captured in 2018 when I applied for a visitors visa to Canada.
Is my decision not to pay another Biometric fee right and will I be required to do another biometric?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I mailed my Spousal Sponsorship outland paper application via DHL before mid March 2020, paid all other requisite fees except the Biometric fee because I actually had my Biometrics captured in 2018 when I applied for a visitors visa to Canada.
Is my decision not to pay another Biometric fee right and will I be required to do another biometric?
Biometrics from visitors' visas are not sufficient, you will have to redo. So in that sense wrong decision, but not critical - you'll get a payment request and instructions. It may delay things a bit but not much.

Important note: you may see in gckey or other systems that "we have your biometrics and don't need them" or something like that. This seems to show for everyone that previously had a visitor's visa. It is mistaken in the sense that you will still need to do biometrics for the PR application; our application showed this including up to the day we received the PR biometrics request.

Mar 15, 2020
Biometrics from visitors' visas are not sufficient, you will have to redo. So in that sense wrong decision, but not critical - you'll get a payment request and instructions. It may delay things a bit but not much.

Important note: you may see in gckey or other systems that "we have your biometrics and don't need them" or something like that. This seems to show for everyone that previously had a visitor's visa. It is mistaken in the sense that you will still need to do biometrics for the PR application; our application showed this including up to the day we received the PR biometrics request.
Thank you for your response. Just as you noted. My decision not to pay for another Biometrics was due to the information on the Government website that asked a few questions to ascertain whether or not an applicant needs to pay for Biometrics. After answering the questions, the system ruled out the need for another biometric for me. Will my application be returned because I have not payed Biometrics fee?

Reactions: Empsam

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your response. Just as you noted. My decision not to pay for another Biometrics was due to the information on the Government website that asked a few questions to ascertain whether or not an applicant needs to pay for Biometrics. After answering the questions, the system ruled out the need for another biometric for me. Will my application be returned because I have not payed Biometrics fee?
That's odd as when I have checked it always says you need new biometrics if applying for PR.

I can't say for certain but don't think it will be returned. I've definitely seen others here simply get a request to pay the fee.

Empsam

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
You are exempt from doing bio again once you have pr application STILL IN PROCESS. If you did bio for visa, you do not need new bio for pr in process. It is on cic website on exempt, just scroll to the bottom and click on the hyperlink. I had that same question. I read it and called cic just to confirm. And my husband did not need to give bio again. He got approved for visa..and sponsorship with trv bio.

Empsam

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
That's odd as when I have checked it always says you need new biometrics if applying for PR.

I can't say for certain but don't think it will be returned. I've definitely seen others here simply get a request to pay the fee.
If in process still, do not need new bio

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
You are exempt from doing bio again once you have pr application STILL IN PROCESS. If you did bio for visa, you do not need new bio for pr in process. It is on cic website on exempt, just scroll to the bottom and click on the hyperlink. I had that same question. I read it and called cic just to confirm. And my husband did not need to give bio again. He got approved for visa..and sponsorship with trv bio.
If this is what you're referring to; temporary resident applicants who have already provided biometrics in support of a permanent resident application that is still in progress. It does not apply for this case. These is for someone who has a PR application in process and then applies for TRV (e.g. extensions).

You’ll need to give your biometrics and pay the fee each time you apply, even if you gave your biometrics in the past for another application.

TRVs biometrics cannot be used for PR.

And that is why along the way (of the PR application process) people get requests for biometrics again while their profiles previously showed biometric infor from their TRVs applications