+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - QC - several questions

cellomage

Jun 17, 2021
Hi everyone!

Getting ready to file as a sponsor for my husband. We are both currently living in Gatineau, QC. He is a US citizen with a 6-month visitor visa.

I still have three questions about the application:

1. My husband was previously married (in Russia) and divorced (also in Russia). However, his ex-wife did stay with him in the US long enough to obtain a green card before moving back to Russia after they separated. The divorce was filed in Russia. There is some difficulty obtaining the original divorce decree (and they specify that it must be an original), and so we are wondering if it is necessary to declare this previous marriage or if it would be safe to leave it out. For reference, we did provide a copy of the decree when we got married in the US, and my husband previously provided it for his US citizenship.

2. A little while ago I was confused and thought we also needed to apply for CSQ right away, but a member of the forum said it's not necessary. Awesome news, but I did want to check if we filled out the first section of Form IMM 0008 out correctly. This is what the questions read (I included asterisks as they appear on the form):

Q5*: Where do you intend to live in Canada?
  • We answered Gatineau, QC since this is my current residence where we are both living
Q6 a*): Have you received your CSQ?
  • Answered “No”
Q6 c): If no, when did you apply for your CSQ?
  • Left blank, since we haven't applied, but there's no asterisk on this question.

3. Does my husband need to give biometrics?

When I clicked on "Who needs to give biometrics?" we actually got the answer that my husband doesn't need to. It's also not on the Checklist. I just want to triple-check since this seems odd to me.

Thank you so much in advance!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone!

Getting ready to file as a sponsor for my husband. We are both currently living in Gatineau, QC. He is a US citizen with a 6-month visitor visa.

I still have three questions about the application:

1. My husband was previously married (in Russia) and divorced (also in Russia). However, his ex-wife did stay with him in the US long enough to obtain a green card before moving back to Russia after they separated. The divorce was filed in Russia. There is some difficulty obtaining the original divorce decree (and they specify that it must be an original), and so we are wondering if it is necessary to declare this previous marriage or if it would be safe to leave it out. For reference, we did provide a copy of the decree when we got married in the US, and my husband previously provided it for his US citizenship.

2. A little while ago I was confused and thought we also needed to apply for CSQ right away, but a member of the forum said it's not necessary. Awesome news, but I did want to check if we filled out the first section of Form IMM 0008 out correctly. This is what the questions read (I included asterisks as they appear on the form):

Q5*: Where do you intend to live in Canada?
  • We answered Gatineau, QC since this is my current residence where we are both living
Q6 a*): Have you received your CSQ?
  • Answered “No”
Q6 c): If no, when did you apply for your CSQ?
  • Left blank, since we haven't applied, but there's no asterisk on this question.

3. Does my husband need to give biometrics?

When I clicked on "Who needs to give biometrics?" we actually got the answer that my husband doesn't need to. It's also not on the Checklist. I just want to triple-check since this seems odd to me.

Thank you so much in advance!
Only have answer for 1. I am not familar with QC immigration steps.
1) DO NOT LIE. "leaving out" a previous marriage is an act of misrepresentation and he could face a 5 years ban from Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The divorce was filed in Russia. There is some difficulty obtaining the original divorce decree (and they specify that it must be an original),
As previously noted, do not leave out or misrepresent.

Russian divorce decree: although they say 'original' this does not mean that it has to be the one originally issued - what is needed is an original extract from the Russian civil registry. And it's exactly what one is issued when you go to the civil registry and ask for one (it may even say 'duplicate' on it, that's fine, just needs to be the one on special paper etc). He should check to see if he has one that he didn't realise is considered original.

Fairly easy to get in Russia, don't know how you would get it abroad (obvious possibilities are by someone with a power of attorney, or through consulate/embassy). Both of these might be harder for foreigners.

It will be much easier for him to do this if his ex-spouse can get in Russia and send to him. In Moscow it's not a complex process, may even be possible online now.

Reactions: YVR123

cellomage

Jun 17, 2021
As previously noted, do not leave out or misrepresent.

Russian divorce decree: although they say 'original' this does not mean that it has to be the one originally issued - what is needed is an original extract from the Russian civil registry. And it's exactly what one is issued when you go to the civil registry and ask for one (it may even say 'duplicate' on it, that's fine, just needs to be the one on special paper etc). He should check to see if he has one that he didn't realise is considered original.

Fairly easy to get in Russia, don't know how you would get it abroad (obvious possibilities are by someone with a power of attorney, or through consulate/embassy). Both of these might be harder for foreigners.

It will be much easier for him to do this if his ex-spouse can get in Russia and send to him. In Moscow it's not a complex process, may even be possible online now.
Thank you all for confirming. I was thinking the same. No, he only has a scan here, but we have friends who should be able to find it and FedEx it. The Russian Embassy is generally not very helpful with these matters, and flying there right now would be a very unwelcome expense.

Thanks again!

Reactions: armoured