+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship PR Name Change Query

RoxasTheNobody

Apr 10, 2019
So my husband and I have just sent everything off for our Spousal PR application and he's wanting to know when he can change his last name to mine.

The reason why we didn't do it before applying was because he'd have to get all his ID documents again and that'd be a long process!

Is it best to wait until after I'm approved for PR just so it doesn't mess up processing?

Would love some advice and info :)

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
So my husband and I have just sent everything off for our Spousal PR application and he's wanting to know when he can change his last name to mine.

The reason why we didn't do it before applying was because he'd have to get all his ID documents again and that'd be a long process!

Is it best to wait until after I'm approved for PR just so it doesn't mess up processing?

Would love some advice and info :)
If he's Australian (going by your flag) he will have to do it in Australia.

My wife is an Aussie and we were married in Canada, she had to go to Birth's, Death's and Marriages back in her home State.

RoxasTheNobody

Apr 10, 2019
If he's Australian (going by your flag) he will have to do it in Australia.

My wife is an Aussie and we were married in Canada, she had to go to Birth's, Death's and Marriages back in her home State.
Actually I'm the Australian one and he's the Canadian and he really wants my last name but I said to him that we should wait until I'm a resident just because we've already submitted our application and it has his old name on his ID so if we were to change it I'm worried it would mess things up

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Actually I'm the Australian one and he's the Canadian and he really wants my last name but I said to him that we should wait until I'm a resident just because we've already submitted our application and it has his old name on his ID so if we were to change it I'm worried it would mess things up
Ohhh, gotcha! Right on.

I mean, I guess he could change it, but maybe safe to wait until everything is all said and done.

If he does change it he would just have to make sure to update IRCC.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
He can change his name at any point. No effect on the app.