+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Outside Canada Work Permit

shilohq

Mar 31, 2024
So I’ve applied for Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada and already received the AOR (I think). The website says I can be there sooner if I apply for a visitor visa and then apply for an open work permit once I’m in Canada. My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? Thanks for any experiences or advice!!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? Thanks for any experiences or advice!!
No, no visa needed. Yes, enter and apply for open work permit.

When you arrive: do not arrive with all of your worldly belongings, and if asked, tell them truthfully you're here for a visit; if they ask more, sure you have a spousal app in process, but you'll have to go back for [reasons].

Reactions: YVR123 and shilohq

shilohq

Mar 31, 2024
No, no visa needed. Yes, enter and apply for open work permit.

When you arrive: do not arrive with all of your worldly belongings, and if asked, tell them truthfully you're here for a visit; if they ask more, sure you have a spousal app in process, but you'll have to go back for [reasons].
Thank you, this has been the most helpful advice so far. I would probably tell them I’m there for the summer, but I’m a bit of a crafter, so do you think if I signed up for a quilting retreat or something of the sort during my visit, that I could prove I had a reason to bring some of those things? Or should I just not risk it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, this has been the most helpful advice so far. I would probably tell them I’m there for the summer, but I’m a bit of a crafter, so do you think if I signed up for a quilting retreat or something of the sort during my visit, that I could prove I had a reason to bring some of those things? Or should I just not risk it.
I would leave these things at home and not bring with you. If you want to craft while in Canada, then buy supplies once here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'll defer to others, apart from generally saying you do not plan to work in Canada. It's okay for your plans to change later (when/if you get an open work permit). I wouldn't travel with a 3-tonne lathe or welding equipment, don't know anything about crafting.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It depends on what kind of crafting supplies. If it's just some needles and small amount of fabric, that should be ok.
If it's a sewing machine... I would say don't risk it.