+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Option C Questions

BlueOwl

Apr 27, 2014
Hey everyone,

I am trying to clarify as to whether not having an Option C would be an issue. My wife has not completed her taxes in the past couple of years. I am under the impression you need this for the document checklist for point 17 and asks for providing an explanation on a separate piece of paper. I take it from what I understand that she cannot get an Option C then for last year as she has not filed taxes. Correct?

Does anyone have experience with not having an Option C and what explanation should be given?

Thanks in advance

truncat

Star Member
Mar 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
5 Jun 2014; 23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
1 Apr 2014
Passport Req..
20 Oct 2014
VISA ISSUED...
17 Nov 2014
LANDED..........
2 Dec 2014
My fiance didn't include an Option C because he has lived overseas since he was 10, and never filed taxes in Canada. He included paystubs and a letter confirming his employment, as well as a letter explaining why he didn't have an Option C. He didn't have any problems being approved as a sponsor. So it might depend on why your wife hasn't completed her taxes.

It sounds like some people suggest sending the latest Option C she has, and then paystubs and a letter of explanation. Here are some other threads with people asking the same questions:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/option-c-printout-t163402.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/option-c-printout-t161962.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/no-option-c-printout-t67442.0.html

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
If she has been employed in Canada the past couple years and she hasn't filed taxes....she will have to. You need the option C to complete your application. It could be sent back as incomplete or they may request it.

If she hasn't lived in Canada then the poster above is correct in saying what they did.

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
SA Received: August 29, 2013
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
BlueOwl said:
Hey everyone,

I am trying to clarify as to whether not having an Option C would be an issue. My wife has not completed her taxes in the past couple of years. I am under the impression you need this for the document checklist for point 17 and asks for providing an explanation on a separate piece of paper. I take it from what I understand that she cannot get an Option C then for last year as she has not filed taxes. Correct?

Does anyone have experience with not having an Option C and what explanation should be given?

Thanks in advance
Blueowl, I was a sponsor, living abroad with my wife since 2008, not working since 2008 and my last taxes were filed for 2008. we submitted the application WITHOUT the Option C, only explaining that we had been living on my savings but I planned to return to Canada with my wife upon her getting her PR visa. I was granted sponsor approval in the normal times (under 30 days) WITHOUT the Option C. After a few months in, I got panicky about not submitting it, so I called the number to get one and asked for one from my last tax year which was 2008. They sent it to me within a week and then I scanned it and forwarded it to the visa office to be added. My wife got her visa in under 11 months (posted time was 14 months).

Maybe I was lucky, maybe the visa officer looking at our file didn't need it or didn't see it. Who knows. In any case, I got the SA without including the OPTION C. Spousal sponsorship does NOT have a minimum income as long as you are not on welfare. As I did, you CAN get an option C for the last year you filed taxes, no problem.

I am not sure which country you are applying with but many have long wait-times. If it were me I would be focused on getting the application in and then worry about the Option C later.