+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Japanese Marriage Certificate

jjjjjjj777

Mar 26, 2018
I am confused as to what is acceptable as the marriage certificate from Japan. We were married in Japan and applying for the Outland spousal sponsorship. Our application was just returned because the marriage certificate was either incomplete or not accepted.

We provided the original and a translation of the Koseke Tohan? We thought this acted as the marriage certificate.

Is there another document from Japan that is the marriage certificate? Not sure where we went wrong here.

Is there anyone else out there that has applied from Japan and sent in another document or had the Koseke tohan accepted as the marriage certificate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Country specific requirements
Japan – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you hold a passport from this country, you and your family members included in the application must provide:
    • A copy and a certified translation of the “Koseki Tohon”
    • A copy and a certified translation of the “Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon”, including details of his/her birth, marriage, and divorce (if any). “Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon” is the original source document(s) of a re-established family register; all names of the family members, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc., must be included.

refer....Get your checklist, forms and instructions......country specific requirements

Translation of documents
You must send the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
I am confused as to what is acceptable as the marriage certificate from Japan. We were married in Japan and applying for the Outland spousal sponsorship. Our application was just returned because the marriage certificate was either incomplete or not accepted.

We provided the original and a translation of the Koseke Tohan? We thought this acted as the marriage certificate.

Is there another document from Japan that is the marriage certificate? Not sure where we went wrong here.

Is there anyone else out there that has applied from Japan and sent in another document or had the Koseke tohan accepted as the marriage certificate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We included a certified translation by a registered translator and certified copies of the koseki and kaiseigen koseki. We had three koseki documents: my wife's own koseki, her parents koseki when she was on it, and her parent's kaiseigen koseki. Our application was accepted as complete.

jjjjjjj777

Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for everyone’s quick response. We included a copy of the original of both the koseki Tohan and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohan and had it translated in Japanese by an immigration lawyer. Not a certified translator. I now believe this is were we went wrong.

I will resubmit with a translation by a certified translator. Thank you to everyone for your help.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for everyone’s quick response. We included a copy of the original of both the koseki Tohan and Kaiseigen Koseki Tohan and had it translated in Japanese by an immigration lawyer. Not a certified translator. I now believe this is were we went wrong.

I will resubmit with a translation by a certified translator. Thank you to everyone for your help.
Note that the affidavit/attestation by the translator is not the same as the certified copy, these are different things. If you're still in Japan I think it's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that does certified copies of official documents, if you're in Canada any notary can do it.