+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - Inland vs Outland

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

I am currently contemplating whether to apply for Inland or Outland spousal sponsorship for my spouse. We currently live in US and will be moving shortly. Out native country in India, so an outland application will be from India. My spouse already has a visitor visa, so we plan to go to Canada together. But I am confused whether to apply Outland or Inland.

1. Would you help me understand which would be faster (considering India is the country outland). And around what time it takes for either (inland vs outland)?
  2. If outland is faster, is it possible to apply Outland application if my spouse is in Canada with me? We will make sure to get the biometrics/medical done from India?
  3. Is it possible to travel in Canada while outland application is in process?
  4. The trouble is that we might have to travel outside Canada, and seems like with Inland that is a huge risk, so just checking if its possible to do Outland while my spouse can be with me in Canada.
Thanks, appreciate your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I am currently contemplating whether to apply for Inland or Outland spousal sponsorship for my spouse. We currently live in US and will be moving shortly. Out native country in India, so an outland application will be from India. My spouse already has a visitor visa, so we plan to go to Canada together. But I am confused whether to apply Outland or Inland.

1. Would you help me understand which would be faster (considering India is the country outland). And around what time it takes for either (inland vs outland)?
  2. If outland is faster, is it possible to apply Outland application if my spouse is in Canada with me? We will make sure to get the biometrics/medical done from India?
  3. Is it possible to travel in Canada while outland application is in process?
  4. The trouble is that we might have to travel outside Canada, and seems like with Inland that is a huge risk, so just checking if its possible to do Outland while my spouse can be with me in Canada.
Thanks, appreciate your help!
1. Outland is generally faster but no guarantee. Posted processing time for both is one year.

2. Yes, you can apply outland while in Canada. Medical and biometrics can be done in Canada.

3. Yes.

Reactions: trsf01

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also depends if she wants to work. If she does inland is the way to go because she can apply for OWP and the same time as sponsorship. It takes around 4 months to get the OWP.

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Thank you very much for your response @canuck_in_uk and @canuck78! Appreciate your help.

Is it possible to travel in Canada while outland application is in process?
@canuck_in_uk: I am sorry, I actually meant to ask if my spouse can travel into Canada, during this process. Say if my spouse has to leave Canada and come back in during this process. Will that be possible?

2. Yes, you can apply outland while in Canada. Medical and biometrics can be done in Canada.
Thanks @canuck_in_uk! That is great news indeed and a relief to me!

1. So will my spouse have to give current address as Canada or India (permanent address) on the application?
  2. Also, in that the case (if we choose to do biometrics and medical within Canada) will the only time my spouse need to travel to the home country is for submitting the passport at the local embassy in India and wait for cOPR/landing? If yes, would you happen to know the usual time taken between submitting passport and being able to land in Canada as PR.
  3. If 6 months of visit visa expires during this process, is it possible to extent the stay from without leaving Canada, say till, we get call for passport?
Appreciate your help a lot, thanks for your time!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you very much for your response @canuck_in_uk and @canuck78! Appreciate your help.

@canuck_in_uk: I am sorry, I actually meant to ask if my spouse can travel into Canada, during this process. Say if my spouse has to leave Canada and come back in during this process. Will that be possible?

Thanks @canuck_in_uk! That is great news indeed and a relief to me!

1. So will my spouse have to give current address as Canada or India (permanent address) on the application?
  2. Also, in that the case (if we choose to do biometrics and medical within Canada) will the only time my spouse need to travel to the home country is for submitting the passport at the local embassy in India and wait for cOPR/landing? If yes, would you happen to know the usual time taken between submitting passport and being able to land in Canada as PR.
  3. If 6 months of visit visa expires during this process, is it possible to extent the stay from without leaving Canada, say till, we get call for passport?
Appreciate your help a lot, thanks for your time!
Yes, she can leave and return to Canada.

1. She gives the address she lives at, which would be Canada.

2. The passport can be submitted in Canada. Takes a few weeks. The only time she might have to leave is if you have red flags and an interview is called.

3. Yes. She needs to apply for the extension prior to her status expiring.

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Yes, she can leave and return to Canada.

1. She gives the address she lives at, which would be Canada.

2. The passport can be submitted in Canada. Takes a few weeks. The only time she might have to leave is if you have red flags and an interview is called.

3. Yes. She needs to apply for the extension prior to her status expiring.
Thank you so much for your response @canuck_in_uk! This is very useful and helpful information for me. So it seems like the only difference between Outland and Inland is the fact that we cannot apply for OWP. Aside from that for both Inland and Outland applications, the whole process can in effect be done wholly from within Canada. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks a lot for your help and taking the time to respond to these questions! Appreciate it very much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your response @canuck_in_uk! This is very useful and helpful information for me. So it seems like the only difference between Outland and Inland is the fact that we cannot apply for OWP. Aside from that for both Inland and Outland applications, the whole process can in effect be done wholly from within Canada. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks a lot for your help and taking the time to respond to these questions! Appreciate it very much!
Correct.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The ability to travel is also a big one. If the spouse being sponsored wants to travel a lot, inland is not the right option. If the couple can not live together for the year, for a variety reasons, that is another reason to not apply inland. For example if the partner sponsoring does a lot of business travel or works in a remote location so works 2 weeks on 2 weeks off or some other schedule, inland would not be a good option.

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Thanks @canuck_in_uk and @canuck78! Appreciate you taking time to response to my questions.

We have finally arrived in Canada and are temporarily living in an Airbnb. Due to coronavirus related lockdown, we are not sure how soon we will find a permanent apartment, and might have to live in this Airbnb sort of situation for the initial few months.

Since Airbnb does not have any proof of residence (like lease document etc.) I was wondering if its possible to go ahead with PR sponsorship application for my spouse without an address proof document?

Again, really appreciate your help and your time very much!

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Thanks @canuck_in_uk and @canuck78! Appreciate you taking time to response to my questions.

We have finally arrived in Canada and are temporarily living in an Airbnb. Due to coronavirus related lockdown, we are not sure how soon we will find a permanent apartment, and might have to live in this Airbnb sort of situation for the initial few months.

Since Airbnb does not have any proof of residence (like lease document etc.) I was wondering if its possible to go ahead with PR sponsorship application for my spouse without an address proof document?

Did you get PR card? You couldn't apply without it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You require proof of cohabitation, so I wouldn't advise going ahead without it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In checklist, support document for sponsor, status in Canada where they ask a copy of PR card.
People without cards can still apply. New PRs can wait many months for their cards. They just provide a copy of their COPR instead.