+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship in Canada While On International Experience Canada Visa

Yoshii

Jul 10, 2019
Hi everybody,

My wife is a Canadian citizen and I‘m German. After obtaining the IEC-Visa in Germany, we moved to Canada in order to start over. I got my IEC-Visa in May 2019. Now she is going to sponsor me under the Family Class in Canada category to become a permanent resident. I still have plenty of time before the IEC will expire (May 2020). Since it takes usually 12 months before the PR is processed, I’m a little worried that my IEC might expire before the PR is approved. I know that I can’t extend my IEC. The complete guide states that one has to use form IMM 5710 E to change conditions, or extend one‘s visa. I talked to the IRCC help centre recently but they told me that I won’t be able to use this form since I hold the IEC. But on the other side, I read on a couple of threads here that people advise individuals to hand in the PR application and OWP application at the same time. I’m just confused at the moment. I‘m also working on a full time permanent basis.
The attached picture shows form IMM 5710 E. If it is somehow possible for me to apply for an OWP along with the PR, what boxes would I need to tick off (under 3)?

Edit: Also I’m aware of the possibility to change my status to visitor before the IEC will expire in order to stay in Canada and wait until the PR is processed. But I’d rather keep working :).

Thank you so much for your help :)!

Last edited:

curt101

Mar 21, 2019
My wife and I were in the exact position you guys are in. We made it clear in the application that she was on IEC ( obviously they already knew this as you send in a copy of that with the app) and when filling out the work permit application, we filled it as if we were applying for a new one. After slightly less that two months we received a new open work permit once her PR application began processing. Submit the work permit app with the PR app and follow the instructions in the guide and you’ll be fine. I can’t see the image that you included for some reason so I can say exactly what box we ticked but like I said, we filled it out as we were applying for a brand new one because it is different than your iec one.

We applied for PR Jan 31 , 2019 and just got confirmation she was successful. Just waiting on landing interview to sign the required documents. Hope that helps.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everybody,

My wife is a Canadian citizen and I‘m German. After obtaining the IEC-Visa in Germany, we moved to Canada in order to start over. I got my IEC-Visa in May 2019. Now she is going to sponsor me under the Family Class in Canada category to become a permanent resident. I still have plenty of time before the IEC will expire (May 2020). Since it takes usually 12 months before the PR is processed, I’m a little worried that my IEC might expire before the PR is approved. I know that I can’t extend my IEC. The complete guide states that one has to use form IMM 5710 E to change conditions, or extend one‘s visa. I talked to the IRCC help centre recently but they told me that I won’t be able to use this form since I hold the IEC. But on the other side, I read on a couple of threads here that people advise individuals to hand in the PR application and OWP application at the same time. I’m just confused at the moment. I‘m also working on a full time permanent basis.
The attached picture shows form IMM 5710 E. If it is somehow possible for me to apply for an OWP along with the PR, what boxes would I need to tick off (under 3)?

Edit: Also I’m aware of the possibility to change my status to visitor before the IEC will expire in order to stay in Canada and wait until the PR is processed. But I’d rather keep working :).

Thank you so much for your help :)!
Don't bother with the Call Centre. They are generally wrong about even the most basic things.

You can apply for an OWP with your inland PR app. Select "initial employer".

Yoshii

Jul 10, 2019
My wife and I were in the exact position you guys are in. We made it clear in the application that she was on IEC ( obviously they already knew this as you send in a copy of that with the app) and when filling out the work permit application, we filled it as if we were applying for a new one. After slightly less that two months we received a new open work permit once her PR application began processing. Submit the work permit app with the PR app and follow the instructions in the guide and you’ll be fine. I can’t see the image that you included for some reason so I can say exactly what box we ticked but like I said, we filled it out as we were applying for a brand new one because it is different than your iec one.

We applied for PR Jan 31 , 2019 and just got confirmation she was successful. Just waiting on landing interview to sign the required documents. Hope that helps.
Thank you so much! Your answer helped me a lot :). I have one more question if you don’t mind.
Since you guys went through the same process, it’ll be easy for you to answer :). On the document checklist for your wife’s OWP in the DOCUMENTS LIST (CONTINUED) section is the last statement “If you are a participant of in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension to your length of stay in Canada.” Did you guys check this box off (and attached her current health insurance paper), or wrote N/A next to it? I mean I don’t want to extend my IEC but then on the other side I am still a participant of the IEC program at the moment. This statement is very confusing. Thanks again!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much! Your answer helped me a lot :). I have one more question if you don’t mind.
Since you guys went through the same process, it’ll be easy for you to answer :). On the document checklist for your wife’s OWP in the DOCUMENTS LIST (CONTINUED) section is the last statement “If you are a participant of in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension to your length of stay in Canada.” Did you guys check this box off (and attached her current health insurance paper), or wrote N/A next to it? I mean I don’t want to extend my IEC but then on the other side I am still a participant of the IEC program at the moment. This statement is very confusing. Thanks again!
You aren't applying for IEC, so N/A.

Wave1rose

Jul 7, 2021
Definitely makes sense! Thank you for helping me out again.
Hello

I am reaching out as I will be in similar situation in few months. I hold PR of Canada and will be going back to Canada in July 2022. My spouse can join me in Canada on IEC visa but I wasn't sure if that has any negative impact on- if i apply for his inland spouse sponsorship. Please guide me if there is any issue. or shall we skip IEC for my spouse