+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship (help please!)

ts1234

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

I am waiting to get my passport back and if everything goes well then I will hopefully get my PR token by this year. Now my question is, I started the process last year and somewhere in the middle of it, I fell in love. I have been with him for awhile now.

My medical expires in August and I plan on collecting my PR token by going to Canada before that. Then, I plan on coming back and getting married in December next year. And after that, I would like him to apply for spousal visa. I will be staying back with him to process everything and then we would like to leave together.

Questions:

1. Is the plan okay?
2. How long would it take for him to get the visa?
3. Is it okay that I stay outside Canada while applying for his spousal visa?

Thanks in advance!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
1. You can travel back after you've landed. You'll want to have your PR card in hand first (or trust someone at a Canadian address to forward it to you - not recommended). Keep in mind the residency obligations as a PR. However, read #3. You'll need to be in Canada while you sponsor your spouse for the entire application process.

2. Everyone's application timeline can be different. Check the processing times web page for your husband's country of residence.

3. No, only short, temporary vacations are allowed to you to leave Canada as a PR if you also have a spousal sponsorship application for your husband in progress.

Reactions: ts1234

ts1234

Aug 1, 2017
1. You can travel back after you've landed. You'll want to have your PR card in hand first (or trust someone at a Canadian address to forward it to you - not recommended). Keep in mind the residency obligations as a PR. However, read #3. You'll need to be in Canada while you sponsor your spouse for the entire application process.

2. Everyone's application timeline can be different. Check the processing times web page for your husband's country of residence.

3. No, only short, temporary vacations are allowed to you to leave Canada as a PR if you also have a spousal sponsorship application for your husband in progress.
Thank you so much! Curious mind wants to know, what happens if I get married before collecting the PR card? How would that effect the timeline or my PR status?

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Thank you so much! Curious mind wants to know, what happens if I get married before collecting the PR card? How would that effect the timeline or my PR status?
EDIT
Removed incorrect info

The PR card itself (typically processed and mailed out between 45 and 65 days of first landing) has no impact on your status or timeline. It is the best proof to offer the canadian border agents that you are a PR when you try to get back into the country. That is why it is generally recommended to not travel before receiving your card after first landing.

Last edited:

ts1234

Aug 1, 2017
You need to make your first entry (with your Confirmation of Permanent Residence visa/document) BEFORE you get married. You are not officially a PR until your first landing. If you get married first, the information on your personal PR application will be in contradiction and will impact your PR status. In this scenario you will have technically not declared your spouse on your application and would disqualify you sponsoring them through a spousal sponsorship in the future. No Exceptions.

The PR card itself (typically processed and mailed out between 45 and 65 days of first landing) has no impact on your status or timeline. It is the best proof to offer the canadian border agents that you are a PR when you try to get back into the country. That is why it is generally recommended to not travel before receiving your card after first landing.
Thank you! This helps!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can get married before you land but you must notify CIC and resubmit your application to include your husband. That will delay your landing but then you both will be able to land/move to Canada together.

If you decide to land and leave without receiving your PR card you can have a friend/family member send you the card. Many people do this without a problem. If you leave without receiving your PR card you can also apply for a PRTD when you want to return to Canada.

Please read through similar questions and you will find that my advice is accurate.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
You can get married before you land but you must notify CIC and resubmit your application to include your husband. That will delay your landing but then you both will be able to land/move to Canada together.
Thanks for correcting me. The point I was trying to stress was that there would be trouble if ts1234 had married and then not declared this before landing making the spouse ineligible to be sponsored.