+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship help needed

michael1986

Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys,

First of all this is a great forum with a whole lot valuable information.

I have a question and i cant seem to find a definite answer to it on the forums.

Basically I am Irish, My wife Canadian. We have been married for 3 years and have been living in Ireland for most of that time. We plan on making Canada our home in the near future. We were planning to start an application for family class by the end of this year.

My wife works in Hospitality and has the opportunity to work in london during the olympics. She thinks this will be great for her career - as do i. However i am not in a position to move to London with here. I feel if i leave Ireland now i will come back to no job and it will be tough to save up the money needed to kickstart our life in Canada if i was unemployed.

She plans on staying in london for 6 months - thats how long the work contract is for. I guess the question i am asking is. will the government of Canada frown upon the fact that Her and I will be living apart for 6 months? Will it have an adverse effect on our sponsorship application.

As mentioned we have been married for 3 years, we have bills in our name dating back for over 4 years, but will this proposed trip to work in london be bad on our application?

ANY information will be greatly appreciated.
Michael

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
If you start the application process now then chances are it will be complete by the time she has finished working at the olympics. You could go to London with her, then move to Canada when its over.

If thats not an option, then no, being apart won't be a problem. You are married so don't need to prove 12 months cohabitation.

You should start the process as soon as possible though.

See my spreadsheet below, it shows timelines of cases going through London. Average is around 4-5 months from start to finish.

Jamgirl

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 19/11
Doc's Request.
Jan 8/13
AOR Received.
Dec.12/11
File Transfer...
Sp. Apr. Dec. 22/11 & Tr. Jan.25/12
Med's Done....
Aug.22/11 & Aug. 27/12
Interview........
Waived - In Process Dec 21/12
Passport Req..
Jan. 8/13
VISA ISSUED...
Feb. 1/13
LANDED..........
Feb. 2/13
In my opinion, I dont think there will be a problem for this... there is a question in the forms that asks if you are currently working outside the country and to show proof that you intend to live and work in Canada... Im sure you can work with this question and give them proof of your intentions...

tim maguire

Jan 5, 2012
NYC, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
12-08-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2012
LANDED..........
11-08-2012
Since you've been married three years, you can give a good explanation of the separation (people live apart for employment reasons sometimes, that's too bad, but that's life), and you will be able to provide evidence of continuing communications, visits, etc. during the 6-month period, I don't see why it would be a problem. I've done a bit of immigration work in the US and here the spousal interview is nothing like what Hollywood has conditioned us to expect. They just want to know if it's real, they're not trying to trip anybody up, they're not super suspicious. Canada is probably not much different.

Save any documents showing it's a contract employment situation, they'll understand that you're not going to uproot your life for 6 months. And again, keep emails and take pictures when you visit.

michael1986

Feb 14, 2012
Thank you for replying. To be honest, I think that moving to london wouldn't be something that interests me. I know that she is doing it because its going to be good for her career. I think if it looked bad on our application to canada then she wouldn't move there. She is doing it because its such a short contract and for the experience of working there for the Olympic Games.