+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship - From US to Canada

Uchi

Feb 5, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research lately on the forums. I'm looking for the best way to sponsor my girlfriend of two years.

I'm a 22-year-old Canadian citizen. She has visited me for 30 days in the past but overstayed by 1 day because of some misunderstandings. Will that affect the sponsorship process?

Regarding sponsorship, it seems like the most efficient way to get her PR as soon as possible is:

1. Girlfriend visits Canada with a return itinerary of 6 months which we can change or not use
2. Immigration officer gives us 30 days or more for her to stay
3. Based on the amount of time given, we'd apply for visitor extension right before the last 30 days or on the day of her arrival
4. Get married, receive marriage certificate, and take wedding photos

Assuming the visitor extension is refused, you're given a 90 day limit to leave the country. Is this correct? Also, would we be able to apply for our sponsorship and her open work permit right before the last 30 days of her 90 day limit to extend her visit under implied status?

Based on our scenario, are multiple visitor extensions likely?

Thank you for your time and any kind of help or advice is greatly appreciated:)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Uchi said:
She has visited me for 30 days in the past but overstayed by 1 day because of some misunderstandings. Will that affect the sponsorship process?

Regarding sponsorship, it seems like the most efficient way to get her PR as soon as possible is:

1. Girlfriend visits Canada with a return itinerary of 6 months which we can change or not use
2. Immigration officer gives us 30 days or more for her to stay
3. Based on the amount of time given, we'd apply for visitor extension right before the last 30 days or on the day of her arrival
4. Get married, receive marriage certificate, and take wedding photos

Assuming the visitor extension is refused, you're given a 90 day limit to leave the country. Is this correct? Also, would we be able to apply for our sponsorship and her open work permit right before the last 30 days of her 90 day limit to extend her visit under implied status?
Don't know where you are getting 30 days from. The standard stay is 6 months, unless CBSA issues her with a Visitor Record, stapled in her passport, saying otherwise.

Post your future queries in the Family Class section of the forum.