+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship From Inside Quebec

bcabby

Nov 18, 2016
Hello all, thank you for viewing and any information provided. My wife (Canadian Citizen) and I (United States Citizen) recently got married in Quebec at the Palais De Justice in Montreal in November 2016. I have been living with her in Montreal since my visitor entry in July 2016. We would like to start the application process for my Permanent Residence Status. I have downloaded everything from the Immigration Quebec government website.

My question is this, does she fill out form IMM0008 and send to the CIC BEFORE she sends in her Undertaking Application form to the Quebec government? Is there a fee for sending in the IMM0008? Do they require any letters or forms (like CSQ) I believe this is the case, I just wanted to be sure before we undertake this confusing process :)

Also, if someone wouldn't mind sharing a link or similar stories to people who have gone on this journey, any help would be appreciated. Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Cheers!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hi, first, make sure you are applying for PR through the OUTLAND route (meaning sponsoring a spouse outside canada). You can be IN canada as a visitor and apply outland. US applicants applying outland are being approved in 4.5-6 months total. DO NOT APPLY INLAND (sponsoring a spouse IN CANADA class). US APPLICANTS WHO APPLY INLAND QUICKLY REGRET THE DECISION AND ARE STUCK FOR A LONG TIME.

second, you need to submit the ENTIRE application package to cic. that is more than just the IMM 0008 form. There is a sponsor package and an applicant package. both applications gets sent to CIC in mississauga TOGETHER (as noted in the application guide online), and once the sponsor is approved the applicant's application will be sent to the appropriate visa office. For us citizens, this is Ottawa (even those applying through QC). The only difference with a QC application is there is an extra document to fill out (the CSQ). this is not done until AFTER sponsor approval. CIC will send instructions to the applicant for sending this to the visa office when it's needed.

bcabby

Nov 18, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
hi, first, make sure you are applying for PR through the OUTLAND route (meaning sponsoring a spouse outside canada). You can be IN canada as a visitor and apply outland. US applicants applying outland are being approved in 4.5-6 months total. DO NOT APPLY INLAND. US APPLICANTS WHO APPLY INLAND QUICKLY REGRET THE DECISION AND ARE STUCK FOR A LONG TIME.

second, you need to submit the ENTIRE application package to cic. that is more than just the IMM 0008 form. There is a sponsor package and an applicant package. both applications gets sent to CIC in mississauga TOGETHER (as noted in the application guide online), and once the sponsor is approved the applicant's application will be sent to the appropriate visa office. For us citizens, this is Ottawa (even those applying through QC). The only difference with a QC application is there is an extra document to fill out (the CSQ). this is not done until AFTER sponsor approval. CIC will send instructions to the applicant for sending this to the visa office when it's needed.
Thank you so much for your knowledge. We appreciate it greatly. I will follow up and download the appropriate documents from the CIC.

bcabby

Nov 18, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
hi, first, make sure you are applying for PR through the OUTLAND route (meaning sponsoring a spouse outside canada). You can be IN canada as a visitor and apply outland. US applicants applying outland are being approved in 4.5-6 months total. DO NOT APPLY INLAND (sponsoring a spouse IN CANADA class). US APPLICANTS WHO APPLY INLAND QUICKLY REGRET THE DECISION AND ARE STUCK FOR A LONG TIME.

So according to the CIC site, sponsors living in Quebec should fill out IM1344 and IM5540 with the required documents. Once those requirements are met a letter is sent to my sponsor to download appropriate documents from the MIDI's undertaking kit and fill out those documents and a copy of the letter from the CPC-M. Would you advise sending the documents for MIDI along with the initial two documents listed above?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bcabby said:
So according to the CIC site, sponsors living in Quebec should fill out IM1344 and IM5540 with the required documents. Once those requirements are met a letter is sent to my sponsor to download appropriate documents from the MIDI's undertaking kit and fill out those documents and a copy of the letter from the CPC-M. Would you advise sending the documents for MIDI along with the initial two documents listed above?

so i'm not familiar with the QC specifics. i'm not sure if midi is needed upfront or later with the csq. i'll defer to others who know better. i know at one point there was a quebec thread. i'm not seeing it on the front page, so it could be a page or 2 back if you want to try to search for it. i'm sure this question has been asked/answered before.

itsfubb

Apr 24, 2016
Hello CDNPR2014

I am in a similar situation as bcaddy,
I am finalizing the application package for my husband (US Resident) and I am applying Outland even if he will be coming to Quebec as a Visitor in December. You mentioned that it is best for us to apply Outland and I have found many people saying that this is indeed better. But If he remains with me during the application process will that cause issues, will they expect them to land in Canada ? Also, will they send any documents to his US address?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Itsfubb

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bcabby said:
Would you advise sending the documents for MIDI along with the initial two documents listed above?
No. The Quebec process is entirely separate from the federal process. As stated on the Quebec website, once IRCC requests the CSQ, you send off your CSQ application to MIDI.

itsfubb said:
You mentioned that it is best for us to apply Outland and I have found many people saying that this is indeed better. But If he remains with me during the application process will that cause issues, will they expect them to land in Canada ? Also, will they send any documents to his US address?
No, there will be no issues with him in Canada. He can land by appointment in Canada or flagpole at the Canada-US border.

The COPR will be send to whatever mailing address he lists in the app. If he's in Canada when you send the app, he can list both his mailing and residential address in Canada. If he is outside Canada, he will need to give his American adress for the residential but can still list your address for mailing; if you do this, he MUST designate you as a representative with the Uservice of Representative form.