+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship for work visa

nomadanny

Feb 14, 2018
Hi there! My wife and I will be moving to British Columbia next month and we had a few quick questions we were hoping to get answers for:

1. We would like to rent an AirBNB for the first month while my wife looks for a teaching job and a more permanent residence, but we were wondering if that would hold up my application process for my work visa (I've heard that we should sign a lease sooner rather than later to show intent to stay in Canada).

2. We are a bit unsure of what is acceptable in terms of crossing the border. Should we drive separately since I am not a Canadian citizen and don't have status there? We will have boxes and personal items; should these also be in my wife's car?

3. We are also considering keeping our belongings in storage here in the US for the time being. If my wife finds a job, we would then find a more permanent place to live, and I would have time to drive our furniture to BC. Would I be allowed to cross the border with a truck full of furniture?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there! My wife and I will be moving to British Columbia next month and we had a few quick questions we were hoping to get answers for:

1. We would like to rent an AirBNB for the first month while my wife looks for a teaching job and a more permanent residence, but we were wondering if that would hold up my application process for my work visa (I've heard that we should sign a lease sooner rather than later to show intent to stay in Canada).

2. We are a bit unsure of what is acceptable in terms of crossing the border. Should we drive separately since I am not a Canadian citizen and don't have status there? We will have boxes and personal items; should these also be in my wife's car?

3. We are also considering keeping our belongings in storage here in the US for the time being. If my wife finds a job, we would then find a more permanent place to live, and I would have time to drive our furniture to BC. Would I be allowed to cross the border with a truck full of furniture?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!
Hi

I'm assuming that your wife is Canadian?

1. You can't just apply for a work permit. If you are you submitting an inland spousal sponsorship app, you can include a work permit app. Having a lease is irrelevant for that and there is no need to show intent to remain in Canada.

2. You aren't allowed to live in Canada, so you should have no more than the usual few bags like a visitor. If you are planning to bring more, then your wife should bring it and enter separately.

3. Trying to enter as a visitor with a bunch of furniture is a great way to get refused entry and possibly issued a one year Exclusion Order.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Fine if your wife drives the furniture across the border. But you can't be in the vehicle - travel separately. As said above, you are not allowed to move to Canada at this time and looking like you're moving can land you in a heap of trouble.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
BC has had a shortage of teachers ever since they rolled back the mandatory class size but usually you require the BC 1 year bridging program or a Canadian teacher's college to teach in Canada. Guess they may be desperate enough to change their requirements.