+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship for PR - Applying from Outside Canada

neelesh33

Jan 15, 2017
Hi All,

I am a PR living in Vancouver, BC. I am getting married next month on Feb 14, 2017. I will be back in Canada only in third week of March 2017.

Can I start the spousal sponsorship for PR process while I am still in India? Or should I initiate the application only once I am back in Canada?

Is there an expected time of eligibility approval of the sponsor? I heard that I can apply for her tourist visa once my eligibility to sponsor her is approved. Is that the case?

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't start the process from outside of Canada.

Since you are a PR, you must wait until you've returned to Canada.

Yes - your spouse can apply for a TRV to accompany you to Canada. Unfortunately there's no guarantee the TRV will be approved. It's possible you and your spouse may have to be separated for several months while the PR application is processed.

neelesh33

Jan 15, 2017
scylla said:

Yes - your spouse can apply for a TRV to accompany you to Canada. Unfortunately there's no guarantee the TRV will be approved. It's possible you and your spouse may have to be separated for several months while the PR application is processed.
Thanks for the information.

neelesh33

Jan 15, 2017
Hi,
Is that the case even if I am applying for her PR from outside Canada? Also, though I will be out of Canada for a month, I am still a resident of Canada. I was thinking of applying while I am in India so that we can use the one month before I arrive back in Canada. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

scylla said:

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
neelesh33 said:
Hi,
Is that the case even if I am applying for her PR from outside Canada? Also, though I will be out of Canada for a month, I am still a resident of Canada. I was thinking of applying while I am in India so that we can use the one month before I arrive back in Canada. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
for a PR to sponsor a spouse, it is required for the sponsor to be physically living in canada full time. Small breaks for vacation are fine, but IRCC can reject the application if the PR sponsor is found to be living outside canada for more than just short term trips.

A PR applying to sponsor their spouse before physically moving to canada is risking application rejection. That is a risk only you as the sponsor can decide to take or not.

neelesh33

Jan 15, 2017
Thanks for the information.

CDNPR2014 said:
for a PR to sponsor a spouse, it is required for the sponsor to be physically living in canada full time. Small breaks for vacation are fine, but IRCC can reject the application if the PR sponsor is found to be living outside canada for more than just short term trips.

A PR applying to sponsor their spouse before physically moving to canada is risking application rejection. That is a risk only you as the sponsor can decide to take or not.