+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship for existing PR holder validity about to expire

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
Friends,

Our situation is a bit strange im guessing, me and my spouse both have PRs, mine's expiring in August 2024, I have not met residency requirements, but my spouse's PR just got renewed till 2029. She wants to sponsor me to renew my PR. She is going to fill the application, but have anybody been in this situation and does the same processing time apply to cases like renewals of PR but through spouse?

Thanks in advance!
RKG

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Friends,

Our situation is a bit strange im guessing, me and my spouse both have PRs, mine's expiring in August 2024, I have not met residency requirements, but my spouse's PR just got renewed till 2029. She wants to sponsor me to renew my PR. She is going to fill the application, but have anybody been in this situation and does the same processing time apply to cases like renewals of PR but through spouse?

Thanks in advance!
RKG
Your PR status will not expire in August. Your PR CARD will expire.

Unless/until your PR status is revoked by IRCC or you voluntarily renounce your status, you remain a PR...without a valid PR card after it expires this August. This means that you obviously cannot be sponsored for PR.

If you are currently in Canada, i suggest you remain in Canada until you have met the Residency Obligation to then apply for a new PR Card.

If you are NOT in Canada...that complicates things for you a bit, but there are options for you.

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
Thank you very much! I am not in Canada currently in this case, should I enter Canada and officially get revoked by the CBP saying non-compliant? And then my spouse can re-apply? What are the other options that you mentioned if i am not in Canada? Thanks for all your advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Friends,

Thanks in advance!
RKG
You need to formally renounce your PR status before your spouse can submit an application to sponsor you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much! I am not in Canada currently in this case, should I enter Canada and officially get revoked by the CBP saying non-compliant? And then my spouse can re-apply? What are the other options that you mentioned if i am not in Canada? Thanks for all your advice!
Why can you not live in Canada and have you ever lived with your spouse in Canada or abroad? Is your spouse prepared to remain in Canada during the sponsorship process and do you plan on moving to Canada soon? No point renouncing a reapplying for sponsorship. If you have no plans to move to Canada in the near future.

Last edited: