+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship duration

kazamaza

Sep 24, 2007
Hi all,
I sent the sponsorship application to Mississauga today. I am a Canadian living outside Canada for 6 years so far, I got married and got 2 kids (Canadians by birth).
According to my understanding.The process is split into 2 steps. Step 1 will take 3 months to get the sponsorship approved and step 2 is the regular Immigration process depending on the residency country (in my case 17 months).

Does that mean that I have to wait at least 20 months before I could move back to Canada with my wife and family?
Is there any workaround? Suggestions?

Please advise.
K.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
Your wife can not officially "move" until she has her PR visa. There is no way around that. she can however come as a visitor getting her here as a visitor could be the hard part depending where you are from. Visa-exempt Countries are alot easier... If she needs a visa she is going to have to prove her intent to return once her visit is over... and the VO processing may figure since her Husband and 2 children are Canadian that her strong ties are in Canada, so this may in fact end up getting her denied.

Love Canada

Aug 28, 2012
Hi Kazamaza, we have a very similar case. I'm a Canadian living outside of Canada for 9 years. My wife and I married 9 years ago and have been living together for the past 9 years in Vietnam with two kids, a 4 years old son and a 2 years old daughter. Below is my timeline so far...

May 26/12 - I sended our application out to CIC in Mississauga
August 8/12 - received an email from CIC notifying me that they've received my application on June 11/2012, the letter contains a UCI case # which you may use to check your status online on the CIC website.
August 13/12 - received an email from CIC notifying me that my application as the sponsor has been approved, and that my wife's application for permanent resident is send to the visa office aboard which is in Singapore.
TODAY August 28/12 - I log on to the CIC website daily to check our application, and right now under my wife's permanent residence applications status is "application received".

From what I've read on this forum, it usually takes anywhere from 4 to 8 months for the permanent residence application.
Wish me luck, and I'll update as soon as I get more good news.
Best luck to you and your wife, I hope this information helps you out a bit.