+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship cuba to canada

cisco999

Jun 10, 2019
What documents exactly do I need to translate from Spanish to English for my Cuban spouse ? Thank you

Kits

Apr 7, 2019
What documents exactly do I need to translate from Spanish to English for my Cuban spouse ? Thank you
You have to translate all the documents which are not in English or French. You can find it in the complete guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#after

Also, you have to read the checklist and the specific requirements for Cuba. Everything is in the complete guide and the application kit.

clairemarie

Sep 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. Married my Cuban husband in October 2018 and we are about to submit our family class sponsorship application so he can come to Toronto Canada to live with me (finally). The only document we are waiting for is his police check which was (no surprise) delayed from Havana to Holguin where he lives. Once this is scanned to me we are ready to go. We were hoping the that the whole process of having to fly to Mexico City for his medical and possibly his interview would have changed by now, but it looks like that is still the current procedure. Any words of advice or experience that can relate?

Thanks, Claire

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. Married my Cuban husband in October 2018 and we are about to submit our family class sponsorship application so he can come to Toronto Canada to live with me (finally). The only document we are waiting for is his police check which was (no surprise) delayed from Havana to Holguin where he lives. Once this is scanned to me we are ready to go. We were hoping the that the whole process of having to fly to Mexico City for his medical and possibly his interview would have changed by now, but it looks like that is still the current procedure. Any words of advice or experience that can relate?

Thanks, Claire
Is the PCC issued in English?

He will have to go outside of Cuba for his medical and interview.

clairemarie

Sep 21, 2019
Is the PCC issued in English?

He will have to go outside of Cuba for his medical and interview.
Thanks canuck_in_uk. I'm just wondering how that part works. So we purchase a flight to Mexico, and they just let him go? The PCC is not issued in English, I am already prepared to pay for translation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks canuck_in_uk. I'm just wondering how that part works. So we purchase a flight to Mexico, and they just let him go? The PCC is not issued in English, I am already prepared to pay for translation.
The person translating the document will need the original, so he can't scan it to you. The original must be mailed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they just let him go".

clairemarie

Sep 21, 2019
You have to translate all the documents which are not in English or French. You can find it in the complete guide: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#after

Also, you have to read the checklist and the specific requirements for Cuba. Everything is in the complete guide and the application kit.
The person translating the document will need the original, so he can't scan it to you. The original must be mailed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they just let him go".
Okay, good to know about the translation part. What I mean about just letting him go is, I thought they may give him a bit of a difficult time at the airport when he is trying to depart. I was under the impression that they are always concerned that you won't come back. Is there some type of understanding knowing that you have to leave the country to complete this part of the process, since it is not offered inside of Cuba anymore? Looking at some of these timelines, when you get the go ahead to complete the medical they want it back pretty fast, so I am just trying to prepare for that moment, although it may still be pretty far away.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay, good to know about the translation part. What I mean about just letting him go is, I thought they may give him a bit of a difficult time at the airport when he is trying to depart. I was under the impression that they are always concerned that you won't come back. Is there some type of understanding knowing that you have to leave the country to complete this part of the process, since it is not offered inside of Cuba anymore? Looking at some of these timelines, when you get the go ahead to complete the medical they want it back pretty fast, so I am just trying to prepare for that moment, although it may still be pretty far away.
I honestly can't say what will happen with having to leave his country.

skhislop88

Jan 16, 2020
Your husband has the options of either Mexico City or Port of Spain, Trinidad right now for his medical exam and possible interview. Mexico requires Cubans to have a visitor visa to enter, so he would need to get that before going there. It's not always easy for Cubans to get a visa for Mexico anymore, even if they have documented proof that they are going for an appointment with an IRCC panel doctor. Trinidad allows Cubans to get their visa upon arrival and are less strict. In theory, they can still decide not to let him in for whatever reason. But with the Embassy in Havana not being an option right now, a lot of couples are opting for Trinidad for the medical exam and interview.

clairemarie

Sep 21, 2019
Your husband has the options of either Mexico City or Port of Spain, Trinidad right now for his medical exam and possible interview. Mexico requires Cubans to have a visitor visa to enter, so he would need to get that before going there. It's not always easy for Cubans to get a visa for Mexico anymore, even if they have documented proof that they are going for an appointment with an IRCC panel doctor. Trinidad allows Cubans to get their visa upon arrival and are less strict. In theory, they can still decide not to let him in for whatever reason. But with the Embassy in Havana not being an option right now, a lot of couples are opting for Trinidad for the medical exam and interview.
Thank you! That is the most helpful info I have received so far. He is pretty fluent in English, I just wonder if he goes to Trinidad if any of the questions will be difficult for him to comprehend. Would you have any idea how he would purchase a ticket to Trinidad? I don't think any flights leave from Havana or any other Cuban city for that destination.
By the way, just received his translated Police Certificate and now all I have to do is cut and paste the communication requirement and the pics which will be super hard to do as I have over 600 pics of us and family since meeting in March 2018. Any advice for that part??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you! That is the most helpful info I have received so far. He is pretty fluent in English, I just wonder if he goes to Trinidad if any of the questions will be difficult for him to comprehend. Would you have any idea how he would purchase a ticket to Trinidad? I don't think any flights leave from Havana or any other Cuban city for that destination.
By the way, just received his translated Police Certificate and now all I have to do is cut and paste the communication requirement and the pics which will be super hard to do as I have over 600 pics of us and family since meeting in March 2018. Any advice for that part??
Stick to the checklist. 10 pages of communication proofs, 20 pictures. Take a sampling over the course of the relationship.