+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship, but still work in USA?

CatW

Nov 19, 2018
My boyfriend and I have been in a conjugal relationship for 7 years (it will be 8 in April), I live in Buffalo, NY and him in Caledon, ON. We're looking to get a Spousal Sponsorship so we can finally live together but we'd both like to keep our current jobs. Would I be able to return to America every weekday for work on my Sponsorship or would that void it? Is there any sort of visa that would allow this? I know conjugal sponsorships are hardest to get, but since I'm working in the states I can't get a work visa, and I'm not studying in Canada either. I'm feeling sort of overwhelmed with all the immigration information and was hoping I could get some help or a push in the right direction. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend and I have been in a conjugal relationship for 7 years (it will be 8 in April), I live in Buffalo, NY and him in Caledon, ON. We're looking to get a Spousal Sponsorship so we can finally live together but we'd both like to keep our current jobs. Would I be able to return to America every weekday for work on my Sponsorship or would that void it? Is there any sort of visa that would allow this? I know conjugal sponsorships are hardest to get, but since I'm working in the states I can't get a work visa, and I'm not studying in Canada either. I'm feeling sort of overwhelmed with all the immigration information and was hoping I could get some help or a push in the right direction. Thanks!
Given you are a US/Canadian couple, a conjugal application will be refused since you face no real immigration barriers to becoming common law or getting married. The fact you are working in the states and can't get a work visa and aren't studying in Canada is not grounds for a conjugal application. Before your boyfriend applies to sponsor you, you'll need to either get married or live together continuously for a full year to become common law.

That's the most important push in the right direction that any of us can give you right now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Agree with above that you do not qualify as conjugal. There are no legal/immigration barriers preventing you from marrying or becoming common-law.

CatW

Nov 19, 2018
Given you are a US/Canadian couple, a conjugal application will be refused since you face no real immigration barriers to becoming common law or getting married. The fact you are working in the states and can't get a work visa and aren't studying in Canada is not grounds for a conjugal application. Before your boyfriend applies to sponsor you, you'll need to either get married or live together continuously for a full year to become common law.

That's the most important push in the right direction that any of us can give you right now.

Totally happy to forgo sponsorship, just unsure which means of immigration work for our situation is all. I work at a very good US company, so I don’t wish to leave it. Trying to figure out how I can legally live with him for a year to get common-law while still commuting into the States for work every weekday. I’m not even sure if that’s possible at all, which is why I’m asking. I’m just completely lost and looking for some help in trying to figure out what would work best for us

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Totally happy to forgo sponsorship, just unsure which means of immigration work for our situation is all. I work at a very good US company, so I don’t wish to leave it. Trying to figure out how I can legally live with him for a year to get common-law while still commuting into the States for work every weekday. I’m not even sure if that’s possible at all, which is why I’m asking. I’m just completely lost and looking for some help in trying to figure out what would work best for us
I am not sure how that will go. If you do not wish to leave your work in US, how can you become a Canadian PR even after your application get approved?
I just googled and the 2 cities aren't really that close (commuting 109 Miles or 176 Km each way daily doesn't sound do-able).
I think you need to figure out which city will you two stay together first.

CatW

Nov 19, 2018
I am not sure how that will go. If you do not wish to leave your work in US, how can you become a Canadian PR even after your application get approved?
I just googled and the 2 cities aren't really that close (commuting 109 Miles or 176 Km each way daily doesn't sound do-able).
I think you need to figure out which city will you two stay together first.
Our plan is to get a place in St. Catherine’s which is half way between our two offices. He already commutes an hour to Mississauga for work, and I already commute 40+ minutes to work in Tonawanda NY. Living in St Catherine’s and commuting to our two jobs actually is about the same commute time we have now.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Our plan is to get a place in St. Catherine’s which is half way between our two offices. He already commutes an hour to Mississauga for work, and I already commute 40+ minutes to work in Tonawanda NY. Living in St Catherine’s and commuting to our two jobs actually is about the same commute time we have now.
In this case, then you can move and commute daily after you get your PR... This is a bit tricky to try to become common law and commute across the border every weekday. May be consider getting married. Definitely apply "outland" either you decided to apply via common law or as married couples since you do not need the OWP (open work permit) for inland.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CBSA will not be happy with you living in Canada as a visitor and crossing the border daily. You could expect to eventually be refused entry and possibly even issued a one year Exclusion Order.

Reactions: jddd

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
It sounds like you have a good job, so I guess, you have a good education, English is probably your first language, so getting good IELTS score should not be a problem. Have you considered applying for PR through the Express Entry ? In this case you do not need to live for a year together, you do not need to get married and your partner does not need to be financially responsible for you for 3 years after you become a PR.

Last edited:

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
While it's possible to live in one country and commute daily to work in another country, you or your partner should become a permanent resident of one to ease border crossings. I know several people who were caught in a similar circumstance as yours, and in each case one partner became a permanent resident of the country in which they lived in. This eased their border crossings considerably (prior to permanent residency they were allowed entry, but they were periodically hassled).

I must also point out that those persons I know who have been in a similar predicament ultimately married (if they hadn't already done so).

It seems like you and your partner should settle on a plan and follow it. Probably not much help, but that's about all I can add.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to delay your St Catherine's plan until you get PR. Border crossings can add long an unpredictable amount of time to your commute although I assume you will apply for Nexus. You'll have to keep your US healthcare since you spend so much time there and do so much driving in the US. You'll have to figure out if it s worth it when tally up all the expenses: tax treaty, US healthcare, commute time and cost.