+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship- Australian obtaining visitor status??

Annalee123

Jun 30, 2018
Hello,

My situation is as follows:
My Canadian fiance & I will get married November 23rd 2018. We plan to fly back to Canad December 9th 2018. I plan to get an eTA and be granted 6 months visitor stay in Canada and apply for PR/ work permit as soon as I get into Canada. I have been told I should buy a ticket out of Canad just before the 6 mths is up so that the border is satisfied I will leave by 6 mths if i don't receive my work permit in the 4 months it's supposed to come in..
Does this sound like an okay idea?
Should i mention I am applying for PR or just say we are considering it, but not sure yet..?
Will i need a letter from my husband saying he has a job and will provide for me etc. Because I won't have enough money to prove I will survive on my own for 6 mths..
Would it be risky to purchase a return ticket out of Canada (e.g. to Los Angeles and back to Canada?) Would it then be obvious to the border officer that I plan on coming back to Canada?
Should I purchase a ticket out of Canada for both my husband and I or just me?

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give me!
Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

My situation is as follows:
My Canadian fiance & I will get married November 23rd 2018. We plan to fly back to Canad December 9th 2018. I plan to get an eTA and be granted 6 months visitor stay in Canada and apply for PR/ work permit as soon as I get into Canada. I have been told I should buy a ticket out of Canad just before the 6 mths is up so that the border is satisfied I will leave by 6 mths if i don't receive my work permit in the 4 months it's supposed to come in..
Does this sound like an okay idea?
Should i mention I am applying for PR or just say we are considering it, but not sure yet..?
Will i need a letter from my husband saying he has a job and will provide for me etc. Because I won't have enough money to prove I will survive on my own for 6 mths..
Would it be risky to purchase a return ticket out of Canada (e.g. to Los Angeles and back to Canada?) Would it then be obvious to the border officer that I plan on coming back to Canada?
Should I purchase a ticket out of Canada for both my husband and I or just me?

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give me!
Thank you!
Hi

Have you and your partner lived together continuously for at least a year?

You can buy a separate one-way ticket in case they ask.

Don't volunteer information but don't lie is they specifically ask.

You don't need a letter. Are you coming to Canada together?

Purchase the separate one-way ticket.

Just you.

Annalee123

Jun 30, 2018
Hi

Have you and your partner lived together continuously for at least a year?

You can buy a separate one-way ticket in case they ask.

Don't volunteer information but don't lie is they specifically ask.

You don't need a letter. Are you coming to Canada together?

Purchase the separate one-way ticket.

Just you.
No we don't live together, but we will after we get married.
Yes we are coming to Canada together, but he will be in a different line at the border officer section because he's a Canadian Citizen; so he wont be with me.
So you recommend just I purchase the one-way ticket out of Canada (not him); and just hope I don't have to use it and the PR application goes as planned lol
If I apply for my OWP along with my PR application; when does my status change so i don't have to worry about keeping a valid eta and what not?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No we don't live together, but we will after we get married.
Yes we are coming to Canada together, but he will be in a different line at the border officer section because he's a Canadian Citizen; so he wont be with me.
So you recommend just I purchase the one-way ticket out of Canada (not him); and just hope I don't have to use it and the PR application goes as planned lol
If I apply for my OWP along with my PR application; when does my status change so i don't have to worry about keeping a valid eta and what not?
He can go through the line with you at immigration.

Yes.

eTA is irrelevant to status. You will be granted visitor status when you arrive and your status will change when your OWP arrives. It takes around 4 months.

Annalee123

Jun 30, 2018
How can he go through the same line as me at immigration? Should he go through the same line?

I'm starting to think that applying Outland may be easier? What do you think?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How can he go through the same line as me at immigration? Should he go through the same line?

He just goes through the visitor line with you.

Outland vs. inland is entirely your decision.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM

If you apply outland, you cannot apply for OWP for your information. Beside this, there is no real difference and it depend on each situation (outland is good if you want to be able to leave Canada and return without forfeiting the application while inland expect both of you stay in Canada during the whole process).

I agree with others that buying a one-way ticket out of Canada would be a good proof. I did the same with my wife when I bought a round trip ticket from Shanghai - Canada - Shanghai with the return part not used yet and with a expected date of november 20 so my wife can stay here while waiting for OWP or get a visitor extension (we are doing inland sponsorship). The important thing is that you show that you are ready to leave Canada if needed.