+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship at the end of IEC

Poetryinvain

Aug 11, 2019
Hi there! This might be in the wrong place, let me know if it is. First time posting, just found this website and have a question.

So my fiance is a British citizen, and I am a Canadian citizen. Once he is done uni (July of 2020) he is applying for IEC. If approved, during IEC we plan to get married legally.

I'm curious as to if we need to wait until his IEC is done (and he has returned to UK temporarily) to begin the spouse sponsorship process for PR or if we can start the process as soon as we're married even if he's still living in Canada for the last few months?

Thank you!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can sponsor him at any time after you get married (or possibly even now, if you have already been living together for a year). It's not linked to his IEC visa or even his status generally.

Poetryinvain

Aug 11, 2019
You can sponsor him at any time after you get married (or possibly even now, if you have already been living together for a year). It's not linked to his IEC visa or even his status generally.
Oh so it won't matter if he's in canada or not when we apply for the sponsorship?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Oh so it won't matter if he's in canada or not when we apply for the sponsorship?
There is a difference between inland sponsorship and outland sponsorship (notably, inland can get him a work permit in 4 months, outland doesn't get a work permit. However, inland sponsorship's don't have a right of appeal, but an outland does). To add another twist, you can apply outland while he's in Canada..

From the perspective of getting your husband PR, both ways work. You should start reading about the process here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Poetryinvain

Aug 11, 2019
There is a difference between inland sponsorship and outland sponsorship (notably, inland can get him a work permit in 4 months, outland doesn't get a work permit. However, inland sponsorship's don't have a right of appeal, but an outland does). To add another twist, you can apply outland while he's in Canada..

From the perspective of getting your husband PR, both ways work. You should start reading about the process here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
Ah perfect. Thank you so much! Based on that (and a couple websites about one vs the other, and a few different threads with people following one process or the other) I think inland makes the most sense for our situation. I really appreciate it!