+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship application, inland

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
These may be silly questions but any advice would be appreciated. I'm trying to get my application in asap

I am applying to be sponsored by my wife (Canadian citizen) I am from New Zealand and currently in Canada and will be applying inland.

Do I need an upfront medical? will this speed up the process? or should I just wait for a request?
Do my wife and I need to get fingerprints?

Do we have to fill out the Additional dependants (IMM0008) form to include each other? we don't have any other dependants, just not sure if we count as dependants for each other?
Does she have to fill out the Additional family information form (IMM5406) or just myself and include her?

Does anyone have a link with easy to follow step by step instructions for an inland spousal application and OWP.

Thanks in advance

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're still opting for the Inland application? :eek:

• An upfront medical will speed things up a bit (maybe 22 months, versus 26 months of total processing time).
  • Your wife will not need to submit fingerprints or a PCC, only you need to provide that.
  • You do not need to include IMM 0008DEP
  • She does not complete IMM 5406; you complete it and show her as your spouse.

I suggest you just follow the Inland Guide, which will take you step-by-step through the entire application.

Too bad you won't be following the instructions in the Outland Guide. ;)

Be prepared to spend the entire time in Canada, because leaving and being denied re-entry will kill your Inland application.

Good luck!

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Ponga said:
You're still opting for the Inland application? :eek:

• An upfront medical will speed things up a bit (maybe 22 months, versus 26 months of total processing time).
  • Your wife will not need to submit fingerprints or a PCC, only you need to provide that.
  • You do not need to include IMM 0008DEP
  • She does not complete IMM 5406; you complete it and show her as your spouse.

I suggest you just follow the Inland Guide, which will take you step-by-step through the entire application.

Too bad you won't be following the instructions in the Outland Guide. ;)

Be prepared to spend the entire time in Canada, because leaving and being denied re-entry will kill your Inland application.

Good luck!
Finger prints actually depends on the country. My country doesn't do fingerprints when it comes to PCC. All I needed to do was to get the official PCC from my country and also do the medical.

As Ponga says doing the medical upfront is the best way unless you wanna add additional processing time.

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Thanks again PONGA!! yes I think inland is the better option as I will be able to start working again once my OWP is approved ()hopefully four months??) and its not easy for my wife to come to New Zealand and work while we are waiting for an outland application. I cant see myself being denied entry?? I have come as a visitor a couple of times before without any issues?

For police record I just have to submit an authority form, does this mean I wont have to do finger prints? I have never done finger prints in New Zealand or here?
Will the upfront medical help to speed up the OWP process? or just the PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As mentioned in your other thread, you would not need to return to NZ to submit the Outland application.

And...even though you can't see yourself being denied re-entry...it can happen, especially if you are unable to convince the border officer that you are:
Just visiting your wife in Canada (not living in Canada), will return to NZ if your PR is denied, have strong ties back to your `home' in NZ, etc..

Have a look at this when you have the time:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

As SamHom mentioned, fingerprints are only required if they are needed for the PCC from the country, or countries, that you need the clearance from.

The upfront medical will not have any impact on the OWP processing time at all, only the PR application itself.

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Ok but my plan is to get the application off then go home (New Zealand) and work once my IEC expires. Then once I receive my OWP come back and work while waiting for PR. Would this not work?

My goal is to be here and be working in the shortest time possible, and I see this as the quickest path?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jha190 said:
Ok but my plan is to get the application off then go home (New Zealand) and work once my IEC expires. Then once I receive my OWP come back and work while waiting for PR. Would this not work?

My goal is to be here and be working in the shortest time possible, and I see this as the quickest path?
IMHO, that is very risky, because the fundamental requirement of the Inland application is that you are both living in Canada during the entire process. I know...it's really a game of semantics; You are living in Canada in the eyes of CIC, but you are NOT living in Canada (only visiting) in the eyes of CBSA.

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Really? this whole system is really stupid if you ask me. The only reason I didn't get onto this process earlier is that a CIC immigration officer told me I could only start applying 4 months out.

So you would suggest outland and me being away from my wife for a year??? Or if I want inland I have to stay here and not work for at least 4 months???

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jha190 said:
Really? this whole system is really stupid if you ask me. The only reason I didn't get onto this process earlier is that a CIC immigration officer told me I could only start applying 4 months out.

So you would suggest outland and me being away from my wife for a year??? Or if I want inland I have to stay here and not work for at least 4 months???
I agree that the system is broken. Don't even get me started about all the wrong answers I was given when calling the Call Centre!

Why do you still think that if you apply Outland you would need to leave your wife in Canada? Sure, you wouldn't be eligible for the OWP, but you'd get through the entire process in a matter of months! You could also leave and return to NZ (as you had already planned to do) and then return to Canada, knowing that if for some reason you were denied re-entry, your application would continue to be processed. Maybe you could even work while you're in NZ.

Having said that, I can't figure out why the OWP doesn't authorize re-entry, since CIC has determined that those who hold the OWP are authorized to work (and live, in essence) in Canada for the duration of the permit, but...that would make too much sense I guess.

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 07.03.2016 - no passport request
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
Hi jha190,

From what I see I would also suggest that you go with the outland application process, is way faster than the inland. If you go outland it will only take 13 months, if you do it inland is 26 months! is double the time.

When you apply inland you have to be in Canada you cannot go back home and work, CIC wants you to be here. You have to be here for the whole 26 months!!! If however you decide to leave Canada to go back home for a visit or whatever, and they deny you entry back to Canada your application will be cancelled immediatly.
I suggest you read Leon's post for inland and outland application if you haven't done that yet.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

If you apply Outland you can be in N.Z. working and visiting your wife. If they deny you entry in Canada your application will not be affected. Also you can be in Canada during the whole process when applying outland as a visitor, but you will not be able to work. In that way you will be with your wife for the whole process.

If I was you I would defenetly go for the outland application as it is faster. I know is frustreting not to be able to work for a year, but at least you will have your papers way sooner and then you will be able to do whatever you want to. Your wife should be able to provide for your, as she is sponsoring you.... Also in case you have documents missing with an inland application the whole process can be delayed for several months I heard people waiting even for years... With the outland the delay will be minimal in relation to the inland. Based on your visa office,I believe is best to do it outland.

Whichever way you decide to apply do the medical upfront, other wise you will delay your application as mentioneed above. For fingerprints it's different from each county. Just have a look at the specific country guide for New Zeland. If you go to the CIC website they have a guide how to fill each form, follow that so you make sure you avoid any mistakes. The also have seperatly the forms that must be filled by the sponsor and the sponsored person.

Best of luck :)

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
If the processing time for Sydney is 13 months, look at it as a worst case scenario - "processing time" means how long it took them to finish 80% of applications. In other words, only 20% of applicants took longer than 13 months. Anyway, you could find the thread for people applying through the Sydney visa office and ask them what's a realistic timeline. They have a spreadsheet that tracks when people applied and when they get PR.

Processing times for Inland applications, however, are generally considered accurate. So plan for getting PR around January 2018 if you apply next month.

It seems like Sydney is one of the fastest visa offices. I wouldn't be surprised if you got your PR in 6 months or less. You could go back home for a while then come back, or you could stay here as a visitor (not working, not enrolled in school), it doesn't matter.

You're eligible to apply Inland, of course, as long as you stay here. Just that everyone here is telling you that you might be beating your head against a wall in October 2017 when you see other people from New Zealand who applied in the spring of 2017 get their PR while you are still waiting... But if you have no reason to travel outside Canada, and you are patient, Inland is ok for you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC really should change the language to clarify that the processing times take up to xx months for 80% of applicants.

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Thanks for the advice guys!! I think outland through the Sydney office is a good idea. I have one more scenario that id like to run past you all and would appreciate your feedback. I would ask a CIC officer but i have no faith in them anymore.

I apply outland through the Sydney office (spousal sponsorship). My employer is willing to do a LMIA for me, my NOC code (forestry supervisor) and $38/hr (above median in Alberta) allows my employer access to the expedited process (10 days) would i be able to get a temporary work visa (TFWP) while i wait for my outland process to go through? Do u have any idea on the timeframe behind these work permits?

I would really like to keep my job, apartment, vehicle etc and obviously be with my Wife.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jha190 said:
Thanks for the advice guys!! I think outland through the Sydney office is a good idea. I have one more scenario that id like to run past you all and would appreciate your feedback. I would ask a CIC officer but i have no faith in them anymore.

I apply outland through the Sydney office (spousal sponsorship). My employer is willing to do a LMIA for me, my NOC code (forestry supervisor) and $38/hr (above median in Alberta) allows my employer access to the expedited process (10 days) would i be able to get a temporary work visa (TFWP) while i wait for my outland process to go through? Do u have any idea on the timeframe behind these work permits?

I would really like to keep my job, apartment, vehicle etc and obviously be with my Wife.
If the LMIA is approved, you can apply for a work permit. Given the current processing times, your best bet would be to flagpole at the Canada-US border and get the permit right away instead of applying through CIC.

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
If the LMIA is approved, you can apply for a work permit. Given the current processing times, your best bet would be to flagpole at the Canada-US border and get the permit right away instead of applying through CIC.

Thanks finally some hope! Do you know if I can apply outland for Spousal Sponsorship while on a temporary work permit? Also do you know the likely duration of the permit they would issue me?